Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

i suspect my cat has licked the effipro off his back yesterday.

Customer Question

i suspect my cat has licked the effipro off his back yesterday. what shall i do?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

What signs are you seeing with your lad?
Any drooling, appetite loss, vomiting, etc?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He is eating and , but he seems 'unsettled' not vomitting or drooling, but wanting to go out and come back in etc

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Based on his signs, it is doubtful that he has licked the Effipro (or enough to cause issue). The reason is because common clinical signs seen when cats orally ingest this product include drooling, appetite loss, and nausea. So, this would be less of a concern for your lad. And even if it were, safety studies have found that a cat would need to drink a few pipettes of this product to cause any serious harm.

In regards to other issues we can see related to Effipro, there are some reports of skin irritation from the treatment being applied to skin but cats with sensitivities to this typically would show signs shortly after application. Typically they will scratch but could feed unsettled, hide, or irritated due to having an irritant they cannot reach. If you think he seems unsettled due to the product on his skin (and you have recently applied this), you can consider washing the area off with cool water and dilute Fairy liquid. (You may need to do this a few times since the oils in the product can cling to the fur. So, much so that if we had signs of a severe reaction we'd have to clip the fur away). As well, you could try settling any allergy type reaction with a low dose of Piriton (chlorphenamine). A kitty can have 0.25-0.5 of a 4mg tablet twice daily to soothe any allergic induced irritation. Of course, we'd want to double check with his vet first if he is on any medication you haven't noted.

Finally, there are rare reports of this product causing hyperawareness, agitation, and nervous signs in cats once applied. This wouldn't be related to licking the product but rather to it having bee absorbed into his skin. Now as I noted it is very rare and the research reports that its transient and short lived. Therefore, if this is what you are seeing with your lad, consider rinsing the area as I noted above, providing a low dose of Piriton, and just keeping your lad in a quiet, dimly lit room. As I noted, this tends to be short lived and settles within a few hours without any treatment. But if this is what you are seeing, you may just want to avoid this particular product with your wee one in case he is just sensitive to it.

So, oral ingestion is not likely to be an issue here. Still it is possible that the Effipro is causing some skin irritation or nervous signs in your lad. Therefore, do plan to keep him in for close monitoring (to just make sure he doesn't have an unrelated issue like an inability to urinate, which would be an emergency situation) and consider the above to remove any risk of Effipro triggering these signs. As long as he settles in the next 12-24 hours, we'd not be worried. But if he doesn't, then a wee check with his vet may be best to make sure that the Effipro isn't a red herring and something else is bothering your lad.

I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )