Rebecca
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

We have had our rescue moggy for 8 months, she is about 2 years

Customer Question

We have had our rescue moggy for 8 months, she is about 2 years old and neutered. She is very vocal all the time but at night it is much worse. As soon as my husband and I get ready to go to bed she starts to dash about yowling at the top of her voice. When we are in bed she will come onto the bed for a while for a pet, but then spends the rest of the night time yowling. We have had to lock her out of the bedroom but to be honest it doesn't make much difference. She is well and eats fine and there seems to be nothing amiss, except for this night time behaviour. We do not let her out at night when it is dark, but she has never been let out then anyway by her previous owner. We are at our wits end, she is a loving cat and deserves a good new life but to be honest our lack of sleep is making us think she would be better off with someone else! Please help.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Rebecca :

Rebecca :

I am sorry to hear about your problem with Lucky.

Rebecca :

My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

Rebecca :

This is a tough problem. In older cats, I would look for things like hyperthyroidism, but that would be very rare in a cat this young.

Rebecca :

What is your response to her yowling, if any?

Rebecca :

One thing to try would be to give her 3 to 6 mg melatonin at bedtime, to encourage her to sleep at night.

Rebecca :

It is important not to respond to her yowling in any way: don't get up and go to her, don't feed her ( or she will learn if she yowls long and hard and loud enough you will eventually feed her), don't even talk to her or yell ( and I know how frustrating it is not to yell! I had a cat like this).

Rebecca :

I hope you can see what I am writing! I am not seeing responses from you.

Rebecca :

I will try connecting with you in another format if I do not hear from you soon.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
I hope you can now see what I am writing!
Please let me know what else I can answer, or help with. Hope to hear from you soon.
Rebecca
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** need to get these melatonin tablets at the vet?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Melatonin is sold over the counter; any chemist, drug store, or stores that sell supplements should have it.
What else can I help with?
Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the good rating.

Rebecca