Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Just spotted a worm(?) in my cats poop. It resembles a grain

Just spotted a worm(?) in my cat's poop. It resembles a grain of white rice but started to move similar to a miniature leach. The cat was a stray and very thin. I have been feeding her up and giving her confidence before i take her to the vets. I have defleaed her although she did not appear to have fleas, so just in case. But this is the first time I have spotted anything in her poop. She has been indoors for about 5 weeks now and has started to put on weight.
Is this a type of worm? and should I de-worm her?
Many thanks Jean.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Based on your description, what you are seeing is a tapeworm segment and confirms that Honey is infected with tapeworms. In regards ***** ***** it would be ideal to worm her at this stage using a product that covers general GI worms (since strays often also harbor round worms) and tapeworms. Examples of good quality wormers for cats that also cover against tapeworms include Milbemax and Drontal. These are available over the counter at vets and pet stores. You will just want to have an idea of her weight (you can check that at the vet's for free or hop on a scale holding her then minus that weight from your weight alone) to make sure you get the right dose to get rid of the tapeworms.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )