Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

Hi, Im looking to adopt a kitten in the next couple of weeks

Hi, I'm looking to adopt a kitten in the next couple of weeks and have found a seemingly perfect little chap of 9 weeks. However, I have one concern which is that his tail is bent over at the tip - not just a little either, it doubles right back on itself into a almost invisible hook. The breeders have said this is typical of breed (he's supposedly half pixie-bob) but I've never seen this before and nothing on the internet seems to indicate this is the case. Could it be a birth defect, accident or genetic mutation? Mostly worried in case it could cause problems in the future and be indicative or more less visible problems down the line. Please help :)
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.

Hello Sue, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I agree with you that it's not my understanding that Pixie-bob cats have a crooked tail; in fact the pure bred ones should have a bobbed tail but straight. I suppose this breeder may be developing another variation on this breed (ones with crooked tails) but I doubt it.
I know certain breeds such as Siamese are sometimes born with a slightly crooked or bent tail but for most cats when this happens, there are going to be other reasons (it's not genetic, in other words).

1. The tail could have been broken at some point; someone inadvertently stepped on the tail and it healed in this position.
2. It could be secondary to a birth defect which is the more likely explanation.

I wouldn't consider this one fault to be an indication of future problems down the road, though. I've seen a number of cats throughout my veterinary career with kinked or crooked tails and they've not experienced any more issues or problems than any other cat with a straight tail.

I hope this helps and that the adoption works out for you. Deb