Rebecca
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

I took my 10 yea old male house cat to the cat groomers yesterday

Customer Question

I took my 10 yea old male house cat to the cat groomers yesterday to have him clipped and his nails cut. He was a very docile timid cat but in my opinion had no underlying health issues, eating and toileting well. seemed very happy and himself. He did not like being put in his basket but nothing unusual. Went back to pick him up after a phone call to say he was finished and within the space of 15 minutes he had died apparently of a heart attack. although i am grieving terribly over the loss of my cat whom I adored something does not feel right.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
I am so sorry to hear what happened to Seymore. My condolences for your loss. What a terrible shock this must be.

How long before this happened did he last have a "well cat" check up, to be sure he was not losing weight, or had a heart murmur, etc.?

I have not seen sudden death in a cat that was apparently completely healthy more than half a dozen times in my career. When I have seen it, usually the cause of death was a blood clot, heartworms, or an undiagnosed heart disease.

Suddenly foaming at the mouth can be seen with heart disease, an electric shock (like chewing on a cord), or a brain disorder called neurogenic pulmonary edema (which could be from a stroke or blood clot or other underlying neurologic disorder). Not being able to hold his body normally could also be from heart or nervous system disease.

The only way you can know for sure what happened to Seymour would be to have an autopsy done, preferably by an experienced veterinary pathologist.

I am so sorry you lost your beloved cat so suddenly and traumatically. Please let me know what else I can answer or help with.

Rebecca
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

poor seymore has already been dead over 27 hours. By tomorrow it will be over 39 hours how long can i leave it for an autopsy

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
The sooner the autopsy, the better. If his body is being kept cool, or frozen, then decomposition is not occurring. If his body is room temperature, the longer you wait the less that can be learned.