Dr. Laurie
Dr. Laurie, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Internship trained small animal veterinarian. Interests: internal medicine, dermatology & oncology
40350296

Hi I have an elderly cat of 19, he sleeps most of the time,

Hi I have an elderly cat of 19, he sleeps most of the time, I have managed to cut his claws in the recent past while he has been asleep, but one of his front claws has grown in badly. It is very thick and I don't really want to try cutting it, I am going to take him to the vet as either side of the claw is black and I cant tell if it is his pad or not. I am wondering if he would need to be put to sleep to have the claw removed and due to his age if it would be safe.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Laurie replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Laurie :

Hello, My name is*****

Dr. Laurie :

I am sorry to hear that his claw has overgrown into his pad.

Dr. Laurie :

Unless he is a very fractious or aggressive cat the veterinarian will most likely not have to sedate him to clip the nail and remove it from the pad.

Dr. Laurie :

If he is very painful then sometimes sedation is needed but in most cases it can be done while awake. He may be put on antibiotics or given an antibiotic injection and he may be sent home with some pain medications depending on how ingrown the nail was.

Dr. Laurie :

If they do have to sedate him or put him under anesthesia as long as he is for the most part healthy for his age and he does not have a bad heart most older pets do fine with anesthesia but hopefully it can be done with him awake :)

Dr. Laurie :

Given his age, I’m pretty sure the veterinarian is going to try to clip it with him awake and chances are they will be able to do it.

Dr. Laurie :

Our cat timer is running out. I hope that I have eased your mind.

Customer:

I used to have a lady come and clip his claws from a grooming business and she said she had cut that claw as it was growing in and when she did it did hurt him as he scratched us which is very much out of character, and it also bled. But recently it seems to have gone very thick and wouldn't like to think of him in pain getting it done as he is so old and frail.

Dr. Laurie :

I have had this situation happen many times in the practice I have worked at and I have never had to use sedation in a cat that generally has a good disposition. I’m sure that when it is clipped it will sting a little if it is grown into the pad but they will be able to hold him in a way where he will be restrained so that he does not scratch or bite anyone. If they think it will hurt him too much to do it awake they will be sure to tell you and may give him some pain medication prior to doing it.

Customer:

Ok, thanks very much.

Dr. Laurie :

You are very welcome. Good luck with everything and take care!

Customer:

Just one other thing, do you think the black lump at either side of the claw is his pad that's maybe gone bad or that something has been oozing out perhaps.

Dr. Laurie, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: Internship trained small animal veterinarian. Interests: internal medicine, dermatology & oncology