Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

We saw a cat on line that had been caught in a trap (for 3

We saw a cat on line that had been caught in a trap (for 3 days)and had to have his leg amputated. He was in a sorry state when we got him, but with care he has come around, eats like an horse. is now playful and enjoys our outside cat run (enclosed). We have 2 dogs and he gets on great with them, but we also have another 2 cats who are quiet and friendly. When he comes in contact with them (we have had to keep them separated) he sort of stalks and attacks, (not playing), the 2 cats are terrified of him. The 3 legged cat (POD) is really friendly with us. We have had him in the room with the cats and they OK while we watch and treat them with Dreamies etc. But one can see him setting up to stalk at times. We have had him for 5 month and have really tried hard, we do not want to let him go as he is happy with us, but we don't think its fair on the other cats. At the moment we have the house split in two, to keep them separated. Obviously we cant keep this up indefinitely, but really do not want to let him go and will try anything. Hence can we get something like Fluoxetine for pets (would this help calm him down etc) any ideas what we can do rather than "just get rid of him"
we have done slow introduction, we have tried Felinaway plug ins.
We went to our vet recently to see if we could get Prozac for cats, she was not very helpful and just said get rid of him, rehome him, there is nothing you can do!
Category: Cat
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb.

I recently came online and see that your question about Pod hasn't been answered. I'm so sorry that you've had to wait for a response,but if you still need assistance, I'd like to help if I can
.

I can understand why you would so desperately want things to work out with Pod and your other cats considering all that he's been through.

I'm really sorry that your vet wouldn't work with you in terms of medication since drug therapy can sometimes help aggression situations where one cat is stalking or trying to bully other cats.
I've had some success with Prozac (Fluoxetine) in these cases although having said that, some cats just like to the only cat in the household.

But, I do believe that it would be worth trying this drug before completely giving up. If your vet won't work with you, then I'd find another vet who will. Unfortunately, I can't prescribe medication since I don't have a working relationship with Pod (I can't perform a physical exam) or I would otherwise provide a prescription quite willingly.

This situation isn't hopeless but if drug therapy isn't effective in reducing his behavior, then I hate to say that rehoming might be best for him and your other cats. I very much hope that it doesn't come to this.

I hope this helps although, again, my apologies for the delayed reply. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.
Hello:

I’m just following up on our conversation about Pod. How are things going with him and your cats? Deb

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi dr deb, it's much the same, he is great with the dogs, humans (well us actually, he does hide from others he does not know). We have really tried hard and are devastated that we probably have to let him go.
Sincere regards
Tony
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.

Oh, Tony, I'm so sorry to hear this.
I feel so badly for you both but perhaps he is just one of those cats who will be happiest if he's the only cat in the household. That's a real shame, though, and I'm sorry that it's not working out. Deb

Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.

Tony:
I just wanted to thank you for the rating; it's greatly appreciated.

And, I also wanted to wish you the best with Pod and with whatever decision you ultimately have to make about him. Best regards, Deb

Kindly ignore the information request.