Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

my cat has got a runny eye and a hard, smelly lump inside her

my cat has got a runny eye and a hard, smelly lump inside her cheek.What could it be.She doesn't seem to be in pain and is still eating.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?
2- Is the lump inside the mouth or on the cheek below the eye?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Its been going on for about 2 weeks, and the lump is inside the mouth in the cheek.It is very hard and difficuly to pull back her lip. From the outside it looks very swollen.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
1- Is the lump originating from the gum?
2- Did the eye begin to tear at the same time you noticed the lump?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the eye began running before i spotted the swelling. I seems to be actually in her cheek but her gums look black too. And it smells of fish.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Yvonne, there could be several possible causes for what you are describing. Given the quick onset and the fact that it has a fish like smell I would want to rule out an infection (abscess). It is also important to rule out an underlying tumor. Any of these conditions can also affect with the nasolacrimal duct (system that drains the tears) and cause excessive tearing from the eyes.
Unfortunately, in this case there is not much you will be able to do at home. She is going to need a hands on examination by family veterinarian. To determine the exact nature of the lump I would recommend you speak to your family veterinarian about doing an FNA (fine needle aspirate); this is a very quick test where your vet will collect a sample of the cells with a needle. Requires no anesthesia, inexpensive when compared to a biopsy and can be done within minutes during an office examination. Your vet will most likely submit sample to a lab to be evaluated under the microscope for a definitive diagnosis. The decision of benign neglect or complete surgical removal should be made based on FNA results. Or, they may find that it is an abscess (pus) when they insert the needle and start her on oral antibiotics.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter