Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years experience in veterinary medicine and surgery.
56364752

My 15 year old cat had a stroke on thursday the vet did blood

Customer Question

My 15 year old cat had a stroke on thursday the vet did blood tests all came back fine. She has just had another, Symptons lasted approx 30 mins and she seems fine now. Obviously i do not want her to have more tests if unnecessary and cause her more stress. What would you advise
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Barbara :

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help. Sorry to hear about Smudge's strokes. What were/are her symptoms?

Customer:

appears dizzy, eyes not focussing,staggering around with loss of movement especially in back legs

Dr. Barbara :

Thanks for your response! So it seems that she is having seizures, which could come from a stroke, but could also come from a brain lesion or infection. Has Smudge been diagnosed with any chronic diseases?

Dr. Barbara :

Hypertension from kidney disease or hyperthyroidism could lead to a stroke. Toxoplasmosis is a protozoal infection which can cause seizures.

Dr. Barbara :

Actually, you did say that all of her blood work was normal. . .so no kidney infection.

Customer:

No this is the first illness in her life. She had 1 tooth removed approx 3 months ago but has recovered well

Dr. Barbara :

Do you know if her blood pressure was taken when your vet checked her? Did he do a thyroid test?

Customer:

I dont know about blood pressure but thyroid was fine

Dr. Barbara :

If her blood pressure is elevated, then this could lead to strokes. There is medication to lower her blood pressure, and this may avoid further strokes. If she has toxoplasmosis, then a 4-6 week course of Clindamycin (an antibiotic) can clear this. Usually, however, an older cat that starts having seizures has a brain mass which could be benign or cancerous. Seizures in general in cats can be controlled with phenobarbital.

Customer:

ok thanks looks like back to the vet

Dr. Barbara :

The best for Smudge, I think, would be to take her to a veterinary neurologist, who would be able to sort this out for you and only run the indicated tests. . .if any.

Dr. Barbara :

Your vet may know of a veterinary neurologist near you, or any veterinary colleges will have these specialists.

Customer:

ok thanks

Thank you John for your very kind rating. . .greatly appreciated!
I'll plan to check in with you in about a week to see how things are going for you and Smudge; there is no further charge for this, and I'd like very much to know.
My best to you both,
Dr. Barbara