Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

my cat had a c section at 2100 last night she is eating and

my cat had a c section at 2100 last night she is eating and drinking and is very content im just a little worried that she hasn't been to the toilet to urinate or pooh shes on antibiotics she hasn't came out her bed I have taken the food to her as its only 24hours since surgery should I be concerned about her not passing urine I will phone vet in am I'm just a little worried She had 1 kitten naturally but unfortunately the second was stillborn.

Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I understand that you are concerned for your girl as she has not passed urine or stools since she came home last night after her c-section.
iIt is not uncommon for animals to not have regular stools after abdominal surgery of any sort for several days for a few reasons.
They are fasted before surgery which causes the gut to slow down its motility and there isn't anything in the gut for that day so there isn't much to make stool. And if she hasn't eat as much as she normally would after surgery her stool production will be less, so she will pass less stool.
Anesthesia slows down normal gut motility and as such stools aren't as regular.
Finally passing a stool involves using the muscles of the abdomen to push out the stool which may hurt a little, so many cats tend to hold their stools.
If she were straining unsuccessfully to pass a stool, passing very small, hard, dry stools or very large, hard stools and crying, not eating at all or vomiting I would be much more concerned.
I suspect that she hasn't passed any urine because she hasn't taken in much in the way of fluids since she has been home, and she had few fluids before surgery. If they gave her fluids during surgery they are likely staying in her circulation to replace the blood and fluids lost during her surgery and to keep her blood pressure up, thus little urine is being produced.
Most of the time we will empty their bladder after surgery is completed to avoid the possibility of them urinating on their incision as they are waking up from anesthetic.
Is she on any pain medications? If not perhaps asking for some will get her comfortable enough to go. If she is on heavy pain medication that can make her sleepy and unsteady and thus less likely to go.
You might wish to put water proof pads under her in case she has an accident in her bed.
You are right to get her eating and drinking by taking water and food to her. The more she takes in the better she will feel and that will get her intestinal tract moving and her kidneys producing urine.
I would try carrying her to her litter box and seeing if she will go. Even if she doesn't go walking after eating stimulates normal gut motility and gets stool moving so hopefully walking back to her bed will help.
The fast that she will eat if food is brought to her is a positive sign. Cats that are in real pain or in trouble metabolically won't eat.
If you think she has an upset stomach at all or seems nauseous after surgery then at home you can give either:
1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at ¼ of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 12 hours
OR
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at ¼ of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.
These are acid reducers, are very safe, and should help her feel better. They can be used as needed.
You can also try a bland diet with increased fiber to perk her appetite and get her gut moving. A homemade diet for this is 2/3 boiled white, skinless chicken, all fats and juices drained, and 1/3 boiled, white rice. Add 1 to 2 tablespoons of canned pumpkin, not pie filling, just pumpkin, to each meal for fiber. You can add low salt chicken broth to her meals as well to get more fluids in which should help as well.
Once she is back to eating well and passing stools you can slowly convert her back by mixing in her regular food, adding a little more regular and less bland at each meal. It should take a week to get her converted back to regular food.
At this point I would not be alarmed and I would consider her behavior very normal for the first 24 hours or so after major surgery.
Best of luck with your girl, please let me know if you have any further questions.
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience: Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.