Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic cats, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

My 12 year old cat seems to not know where she is ...maybe

My 12 year old cat seems to not know where she is ...maybe she can't see..she is sniffing her way round the room and not settling in her bed even tho I just put her in her litter tray and she had a big wee and a poo. She is waving her tail around and seems calm and has a slight limp and is carrying her self near to the ground and going under low furniture and is happy for me to pick her up and stroke her- she seems less aware when the dog is near her . HAS SHE HAD A STROKE - what would the treatment be if we go to an emergency vet ?

Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 2 years ago.
Hello!
Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.
It is possible that she had a stroke but what is more common is that she is having blood pressure problems. Cats are capable of dangerously high blood pressures which can make them blind, confused and if untreated damage other organs. I do think that the emergency center should be visited. I would hope they would look at her eyes, her gait, and then check her blood pressure, if the pressure is high there are simple cheap medications to bring this problem under control. If she had a stroke sometimes it can be treated with steroids if the stroke occurred outside the brain.
I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions.
Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

You were quite right the cat had had a stroke. We took her to the emergency vet and had her examined, she then had a cortisone injection

which seems to had sorted out the problem (at a price!).

Thank you for your help.

Brian