Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

Hello, Just need some advice on a stray cat Ive had since

Just need some advice on a stray cat I've had since Jan. He initially had a lot of hair missing under his jaw and on the front....which is an area he can't lick. He has had consistent issues. I now have him on a cyclical routine of worming and treatment for ticks etc. He is continuously hunting rabbits mice etc. He was prone to getting infections between his claws and around paw pads which have now thankfully cleared. We just now have this ongoing problem with him scratching under his jaw. Vet was treating with different injections...some of the meds on the invoices include "Convenia" Dex/ Noro injection...he has been on betamox drops as well. The vet put him on a wk long course of steroids and he ended up with cat flu. As a result he says I can't get the immunity injection for the cat HIV etc. Last time I went in he said he would try something different and administered another injection...I don't know what it was... and more betamox. Can is still scratching under chin...as soon as this is healed he will rip it up again. One of the vets mentioned cat dermatitis...there is currently no flaking skin anymore and it's just under the chin. Just need another professional opinion...cat is almost constantly on anti biotics...and I am broke and frustrated :-) What do you think?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb.

I recently came online and see that your question about Mange hasn't been answered. I'm so sorry that you've had to wait for a response,but if you still need assistance, I'd like to help if I can.

When presented with a cat who has a chronically itchy face/chin, then I'd want to rule out food allergies before anything else. If this is the problem, until or unless the food is changed, the problem will continue despite various drugs and medications.

Sometimes this can be a trial and error process (finding a food which the patient will eat and which is also effective) since testing for food allergies is not always the easiest thing to do. There are blood tests which can be done but they aren't terribly accurate.

Food allergies are usually to ingredients in the cat food which a cat has been eating for a while--it's not typically to new food as you might expect.

I'm not sure what options you have in Ireland when it comes to cat foods, but the following are what I usually recommend:

Changing to a hypoallergenic diet may be helpful such as grain-free, or Z/D (a prescription diet which should be available from your vet) or Natural Ba***** *****mited Ingredients, Nature's Variety Instincts line, Evo Duck or Venison, Nature's Variety Frozen Raw Medallions (I recommend that they be zapped in the microwave for 10-15 seconds on each side).

It can sometimes take 1-2 months to know whether or not the food you've selected will be effective.

I hope this helps although, again, my apologies for the delayed reply. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Mange. How are things going with him? Deb

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Deb :-)

Thank you for following up. I used to feed him cows milk so I have now excluded this from his diet and am really hoping this is the problem. I took him to a different vet from my usual one and we treated him again for mites and the like. There are no signs of any dry skin on his body anymore although this was a previous issue. His claws are also free from infection. We are coming into winter now so a lot of the midgets etc are dying off. The vet gave him an injection that didn't have any side affects and told me we can give him his shots. He gave me a topical cream to apply to the infected area twice daily it's called "fuciderm gel" it has fusidic acid, betamethasone, methyparahydroxbenzoate and propylparhydroxybenzoate in it. It's supposed to be for dogs but I'll try anything now :-) It's a bit frustrating because it can go from a tiny scratch to this full blown weeping infection in a matter of hours without medication. It has scabbed up now but I can see a fresh scratch on it now again.

I will have a look online for the food you spoke about above also. I'm going to try and rule out the milk first.

Thank you for all of your help.

Fiona

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.

Fiona:
Thanks for taking the time to send me an update about Mange. Topical treatment as you're trying can certainly be effective in some cases but if he's allergic to something in his diet, then as you probably figured out by now, he'll continue to be itchy until the offending food is removed.

I've seen a few lactose intolerant cats in my career but they usually develop loose stool or vomiting issues.

But, it's a reasonable ingredient to remove from his diet on the off chance that it might be the culprit. I've seen stranger things:) Regards, Deb

Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hmmm no he doesn't have diarrohea..or vomiting..You're the expert so I will look into these diets now. Thank you! Neither of the other vets mentioned diet and I want to attack this thing from all angles sooner rather than later :-) I appreciate your help ...a consultation with you costs €15 and I have spent an absolute fortune on physical consultations without being given any advice on diet.

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.

Fiona:
You're more than welcome and thanks for the rating; it's greatly appreciated.

Well, in situations involving an itchy face/chin, I always want to rule out diet first since I've seen a fair number of food allergies in cats throughout my career.

These can be frustrating cases, that's for sure, but at least you have another avenue to explore and, hopefully, the money spent on the site will be money well spent:) Deb