Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

Hi. My cat has had a small spot on his chin for the last week

Hi. My cat has had a small spot on his chin for the last week - it has a yellow head and about the size of a small human zit/spot. It hasn't spread or got bigger in the last few days, but also hasn't got better, and I am concerned it may be Eosinophilic granulomas or 'rat ulcers', and I would want to get it checked if it isn't going to heal on it's own or if it may spread and cause him problems. However given that it is still so small I am not sure that it is, and I am also led to believe that eosinolphils are more common on the top lip. Should I wait and see if it improves?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
Welcome! My name is***** am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.
I am sorry to hear about this concern for Zizou.
If that small, it certainly gives you the option to closely monitor briefly for any changes. Of course, in that location, don't let it grow to large, just in case, surgical removal is necessary.
It would be fine if you wanted to apply some generic hydrocortisone cream on it. Any type of inflammatory reaction or eosinophilic lesion, will sometimes respond a little to a steroid cream.
The granulomas really can appear anywhere around the lip margin.
HOpe that informations helps. Good Luck!
Please remember to select the tab, REPLY TO EXPERT, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Otherwise, select the RATE TO FINISH tab to provide a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding. My goal is to provide you the best answer possible.
Dr. Andy