Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Why would a cat abandon his home and choose to live in the

Customer Question

Why would a cat abandon his home and choose to live in the garden?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. You've described an alteration in social behavior which occurs for one of two main reasons. The first involves avoidance of a situation that has developed in the home. For example, a new person or pet is introduced to the home or the behavior of an existing person or pet has changed and becomes unacceptable to Topsy. Environmental variables such as noises or odors should be considered as well. It's important to note that stimuli such as noises and odors may not arise from within the home but may still be perceived as doing so by Topsy. The second reason occurs when a pet is highly territorial. A cat may sequester itself outside in order to "guard" its territory from invaders - another cat, usually, but roaming wide animals can also precipitate this behavior. In most cases when the other animal naturally leaves the area, our pets return to their normal behavior.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.