Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Roxie 2 year old Persian has not eaten or drunk water today

Roxie 2 year old Persian has not eaten or drunk water today and is lethargic. She has had a liver enzyme problem last year but has recovered and is a good weight. She has coughed few times in the last week and I am worried about her tonight.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.
Scott Nimmo :

My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :
I know this may not be what you want to hear but what you should do, just to be on the safe side is have a vet check your cat over sooner rather than later. ..The reason I say this is .....

Scott Nimmo :

While the symptoms you describe would not allow me or any other vet to pin this down to any one particular disease via the internet I would say from the fact that she has no interest in food and water and is lethargic that it is possible that she is running a temperature and so may be in the grip of some kind of infection.

Customer:

I am worried about her she is a very fussy eater but will normally eat well. It is not like her. Could this be a return of her liver enzyme issue or could it be cardiac. She is breathing in a shallow way

Scott Nimmo :

It could be that she is running a temperature or it could be the return of her previous disease, the breathing is a cause for concern as well

Scott Nimmo :

The problem you have is differentiating between something minor such as an infection or a recurring liver problem at home

Scott Nimmo :

I normally like to suggest home remedies if I can do this safely but in your case I think it is not worth the risk as it could well be that antibiotics would be what is needed if your cat is indeed running a temperature, but you should be aware that other diagnosis are also possible such as liver issues ...

Scott Nimmo :

All you can really hope to do here is to keep her comfortable and reassured, try and get fluids into her orally if possible, and if symptoms continue have your vet check her over

Customer:

She is quite bright but I am worried. I shall watch her carefully tonight and take her to my vet first thing in the morning. I have three other Persians I am supposed to be taking one of my other Persians to an old folks home for a visit I think I will cancel in case of infections?

Customer:

Thank you for your advice

Scott Nimmo :

If your other Persian is clinically normal at present then I would not worry, there would be little risk of cat diseases spreading to humans. Cat diseases are usually very specific to cats and do not affect people.

Customer:

Thanks. I will take her first thing Good night

Scott Nimmo :

Glad to have advised you, I am just sorry I cannot safely give you any more specific advice via the internet.

Customer:

That's ok

Scott Nimmo :

Good night, I will be about for at least the next four or five hours so please do not hesitate to get back to me if things change ...

Customer:

I will do, I have had cats all my life and just adore Roxie. If I get any more worried the Glasgow vet school is fairly nearby and has a 24 hour emergency room, I hope she will be ok until the morning.