Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

hi, i really need an emergency help. my cat felt down from

hi, i really need an emergency help. my cat felt down from third floor 2 months ago, she is ok, she is around my block where i living, but she is scared a lot and don't want a come to me. i try to get her back but she is not give in me to touch her.i can give her food from little away from her, but can not get very close. is there any pills which i can put in hher food and make her sleepy for a little bit time. iwant to get her back, she is not vell, hungry, need feeding looking after her, its been two months she is outside and she looks very tired. can you help me please please
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Suzy accidentally got outdoors and will not come to you.
She is likely terrified and at this point may not recognize you as a friend due to her over-riding fear. She has likely been chased by other animals or even people and has quickly learned to run to survive. It will be extremely difficult to get her to willingly come to you.
I do not recommend tranquilizers in this situation as the cat is likely to hide when she starts to become sleepy and you will not be able to find her, or try to run away when she is feeling the effects and may fall or get hit by a car because she doesn't have her wits about her.
You really should try and use a hav-a-heart trap (see this link for examples: http://www.havahart.com/store/live-animal-traps ) to trap your kitty. You may be able to borrow one from your local shelter or humane society.
She is probably very hungry so you can use her favorite, smelliest foods to draw her to it. Put the trap in a sheltered area where she has been frequently seen. Make sure to check it frequently.
To get her used to the trap feed her on top of the closed trap for a few days.
Once she is used to the closed trap skip a day of food and the next day put the food in the live set trap. That may get her to go in and then you will be able to get her back.
Best of luck with your poor girl, please let me know if you have any further questions.