Rebecca
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

my cat is 20yrs old she cries really loud when she has just

Customer Question

my cat is 20yrs old she cries really loud when she has just eaten or used the litter tray. its not a normal cat cry, shes deaf and going blind but she looks quite healthy, do you think she is in pain.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Rebecca :

Rebecca :

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your cat.

Rebecca :

My name is***** am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

Rebecca :

It is not unusual for a deaf cat to cry loudly; it seems that deaf cats do get louder.

Rebecca :

Another reason for an older cat to be more vocal, is a condition we see in older cats called hyperthyroidism. It is always a good idea to have a thyroid level checked in an older cat. Hyperthyroidism can also cause blindness, from high blood pressure.

Rebecca :

Hyperthryroidism can be treated with medication.

Rebecca :

I hope you can see what I am writing!

Rebecca :

I am not seeing responses from you. Sometimes this live chat has problems, and we can't see what the other is saying.

Customer:

yes I can thank you

Rebecca :

Great!

Rebecca :

Has she lost any weight?

Rebecca :

Drinking more water than when she was younger?

Rebecca :

Does she have a good appetite?

Customer:

no she was thin but the past yr she has put weight on

Customer:

she has got a good appetite now

Rebecca :

That is great for a cat this old to gain weight! Often they get thinner and thinner.

Rebecca :

Hyperthyroidism causes a cat to eat more.

Customer:

can I get medication from a shop or do I take her to the vets

Rebecca :

You have to have a blood test to see if she has a high thyroid level.

Rebecca :

If she does, then there are three ways to treat hyperthyroidism.

Rebecca :

One is a prescription medication, methimazole.

Rebecca :

Another is an iodine free diet, called Y/D.

Rebecca :

The third treatment option is to use radioactive iodine to shrink the thyroid gland.

Customer:

the best thing would to take her for a check up to see what they say

Rebecca :

There is an herb, called bugleweed, that is helpful with hyperthyroidism, but alone does not make a hyperthyroid cat go back to normal thyroid levels.

Rebecca :

Yes, having her examined, her eyes and ears checked, and some blood tests done is where I would start if she were my cat.

Rebecca :

Hyperthyroidism could be her problem, but she needs an exam to check for other things, and blood test to know for sure.

Customer:

she only has one tooth left is this normal for a cat her age I have to mush her food up like I said she is eating well now

Rebecca :

I had a cat only 13 who had no teeth!

Rebecca :

Some cats have better teeth than others.

Rebecca :

My no teeth cat still ate dry food!

Customer:

thank you for your advise I will get her checked out

Rebecca :

You are welcome!

Rebecca :

Is there anything else I can answer, or help with?

Rebecca :

I will be checking back to see how she is doing.

Customer:

I don't think so, ok il let you know

Rebecca :

I hope she is doing better soon.

Rebecca :

Kindly consider rating my answer, but only if all your questions have been answered.

Customer:

you answered my questions thank you

Rebecca :

You are welcome!

Rebecca :

I am here to help, until you close the chat, by rating my answer.

Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian for more than 30 years
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the great rating.

Rebecca