Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Hi we have a 9 week old rescue male kitten, in the last two

Customer Question

Hi we have a 9 week old rescue male kitten, in the last two days he seems to have dislocated his front left leg/shoulder twice. Just by climbing up my leg once and I think getting his claws stuck in a blanket the other time. He does not seem to be in any great pain? at least not that he show and it pops back in very easily with hardly any pressure. We are going to take him to the vets tomorrow. Wondered if you had any advice?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
i"m sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Traumatic luxation (dislocation) is rare in cats. Congenital (present at birth) luxation is more common but still not seen often. To answer your question directly, there's nothing you need do at this time other than restrict activity that predisposes to luxation and damage to the unstable scapulohumeral joint. The vet will need to evaluate shoulder "drawer movement" by cranial, caudal, medial, and lateral displacement of the humerus relative to the scapula. Medial instability is tested by abduction of the humerus relative to the scapula. Stress radiography (X-rays taken when the joint is hyperflexed and extended) are helpful in some cases.
Surgical options in traumatic or congenital luxations with good joint integrity include primary repair of joint capsule/ligaments and stabilization by transposition of the biceps tendon, or prosthetic suture repair of the glenohumeral ligament. Let's see if shoulder luxation actually exists tomorrow. I'd be pleased to consult further once a definitive diagnosis is made.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

May I have an update on Thor, please?