Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My cat has an allergy which flares in hot weather similar to

My cat has an allergy which flares in hot weather similar to hives in humans, this causes sore spots which usually dry off in a few days. Unfortunately he has scratched a raw patch on the back of his head, presumably due to itching as it dried off. Is there anything topical that I can apply to help it heal without forming a dry scab. I was wondering if honey would be safe.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.
Scott Nimmo :

My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

I have encountered this quite a few times in the UK and one of the best things you can do on an over the counter basis is to apply " human " 0.5% hydrocortisone cream to the affected area three times a day. This is often effective and this sort of ointment is very safe if applied topically

Scott Nimmo :

Five or six days of application is usually enough but if after a week things have not improved then it would be best to have your vet take a look as prescription drugs such as antibiotics may be needed.

Scott Nimmo :

The honey would not doa nay harm and could be applied but the hydrocortisone cream would be your best bet ...

Scott Nimmo :

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott