Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My cats got diariaha and I got given advice by own vets to

My cats got diariaha and I got given advice by own vets to give him dry yesterday is there anything I should do
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Prince has diarrhea but pleased to hear that his appetite remains good.
Diarrhea can be due to stress, a change in diet, parasites, inflammatory bowel disease or even a food allergy. But it can also be related to metabolic organ disease (such kidney or liver disease) due to organ wastes irritating the gut. Rarely a mass in the colon can be the cause.
He is a young fellow and if he goes outside then parasites would be a common problem. I recommend using a general wormer with Praziquantel and Pyrantel such as Drontal to treat all of the common worm parasites.
If his diarrhea returns even with a worming and the recommendations I give then he should see his veterinarian and check at least a couple fresh stool samples too for other types of parasites as parasite eggs/cysts are shed intermittently and could be part of his trouble. They may be picked up on the second sample or third test if the first is negative.
Because he still feels well now though we can try some things at home to help with the diarrhea in the meantime.
I would not feed him any food for 24 hours.
This should help stop gut spasms and restore normal gut motility. Small amounts of water given frequently are fine as he needs fluids after all that he has lost with diarrhea. You can give him pedialyte to replace electrolytes too but Gatorade is much too high in sugar which can make his intestinal irritation worse.
Today even with the fast you can start Kao-pectate (kaolin and pectin formulation) at 2mls per kilogram of body weight or 1 teaspoon per 2 kilograms of body weight every 6 to 8 hours. This is quite safe and will coat his irritated gastrointestinal tract as well as absorbing bacterial toxins. You can use it for several days until his stools look normal. You can find kao-pectate at the drug store.
If he has a tense painful abdomen, continues to have diarrhea with no improvement after being on kao pectate for 24 to 48 hours, becomes very lethargic, begins vomiting or runs a fever greater than 103.5F then he really must be seen by a veterinarian as soon as possible. Make sure to take a fresh stool sample with you when you go.
After his food fast start a bland diet of 2/3 boiled white skinless chicken, all fats and juices drained off mixed with 1/3 boiled, plain white rice. Feed several small meals a day. You might wish to add 1 to 2 tablespoon(s) of canned pumpkin to each meal if you are seeing mucous or blood in his stool as fiber helps soothe an irritated colon.
Once he feels better (no diarrhea for 48 hours) start mixing in his regular cat food very slowly, less bland more regular with each day. It should take a week or so to convert him back.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.