Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

my cat is 17 but has become thin all over finds it hard to

my cat is 17 but has become thin all over finds it hard to jump, we have to help him up. he wobbles side to side, he tends to sit with his head down staring at the floor, but my big concern is that hes sicking liquid and its smells like poo. he looks so sad, I really think its time to say goodbye but the guilt is taking over. its like im killing him.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your older fellow is having a tough time of lately with showing signs of muscle weakness, flexed neck, weight loss, vomiting and depression.
As cats age their organ systems often stop working as efficiently as they once did. That can lead to the build up of metabolic waste products, causing nausea and weight loss as well as depression, changes in electrolyte and mineral balances in the blood, which can lead to muscle weakness and in cases with very low potassium a characteristic "flexed neck" position. His symptoms now are highly suggestive of kidney failure, but there may be other complicating or concurrent disease processes.
While we may not be able to cure his disease process(es) we may be able to get him feeling more comfortable and enjoying life again for a period of time with treatment. If his disease is beyond treatment then you shouldn't feel guilty choosing humane euthanasia as that is easing his suffering when nothing more can be done.
He has had a wonderful life with you, otherwise he wouldn't have made it to 17, and I know that you love him deeply or you wouldn't be agonizing over him.
The best thing for him now would be for him to see his veterinarian for an examination and some blood and urine tests. Once we have an idea of why he is the way he is and how severe his disease process is then you can make the best choices for him.
At home now in the meantime to try and settle his stomach you can give either:
1)Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of 1/4 of a 10mg tablet per 2 to 5 kilograms of body weight every 12 hours
OR
2)Prilosec (omeprazole) at dose of 1/4 of a 10mg tablet per 2 to 5 kilograms of body weight every 24 hours
These are acid reducers and should help him feel less nauseous, and thus less likely to vomit These medications are quite safe and can be used long term if they help him feel better.
Best of luck with your fellow, please let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thankyou for your reply very helpful. I no what I must do now, as to put him through so much now would be more agony for myself and leo my little lion. I forgot to mention that his gums are pale now and there is a bad smell from his gums. all in a short space of time.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the further information.
His pale gums likely signify anemia, which is very common with kidney failure. The kidneys produce a hormone that stimulates red blood cell production and when they fail and the hormone isn't made, they often become anemic.
The bad smell is likely due to uremia, or the build up of kidney wastes in the blood, which can lead to a foul breath odor and can cause gum ulcers/infections.
I am sorry to hear poor Leo is suffering so, but I am glad to hear that these changes have been sudden for him and he has lived a good long, happy life 'til now.
Please let me know if you have any further questions, my thoughts are with both of you now as you struggle with this.
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience: Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.