Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My cat has a cough and is weezing quite a lot. This

Customer Question

My cat has a nasty cough and is weezing quite a lot.
This had developed slowly over the last three weeks, at first I thought it was fur balls, as she always coughs because of those. I went to the vet about 7 weeks ago as I was concerned about her ear mites as I never seem to win when putting in her ear drops. She suggested I used the new product called Broadline,I was to use this and Advocate as an alternative every month. One month Broadline and one month advocate. When I went to the vet I couldn't see the one I saw before and I think I saw a trainee. Anyway , she listened to my cat's chest and said there was quite a lot going on, but couldn't hear her heart. She suggested antibiotics at first and then an xray. I mentioned about the spot on, because although the mites had gone she still had scrates on her ears. My cat had no temperature and her colour was very good. She has eated a large plate of turkey this morning and this evening has eaten a large plate of chicken, but she is still coughing and weezing. She is clearly not well but is still washing herself and is active. She has also developed a right very runny eye and what looks like some sort of scratch or sore above this eye. I have never given my cat spot on like this over two months before. She has never had flees and has always been very healthy and active. In the summer months I did give her frontline. I gave her the advocate 3 weeks ago. If Chrystal, who is a white pershion, is not much better tomorrow, then I will take her back to the vet, but she is not very ill and doesn't appear to be getting worst. She is only on her third day of antibiotics. Do you think by some chance she may have had a reaction to Advocate and what side effects are there?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Coughing and wheezing in cats is more often caused by asthma (allergic bronchitis) than respiratory infection - Bordetella bronchiseptica and the feline herpesvirus (FHV-1) mainly. I would have expected a respiratory infection to remiss within 3 weeks as opposed to asthma which might persist indefinitely.
Please do have X-rays performed as well as a complete blood count. Asthmatic cats may have not always have lung changes indicative of asthma but in Chrystal's case I suspect changes will be seen because the vet heard "quite a lot going on". A complete blood count may reveal an increased eosinophil (one of the white blood cells) count typical of asthma.
A reaction to Advocate is unlikely. Up to 10 times the recommended dose was tolerated in cats with no evidence of adverse effects or undesirable clinical signs. After accidental oral ingestion (i.e. licking at the site of application) or overdose, neurological signs (most of which are transient) such as ataxia, generalized tremors, ocular signs (dilated pupils, little pupillary reflex, nystagmus), abnormal respiration, salivation and vomiting may be observed in very rare cases.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm going to check back with you in a week for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.