Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist in health and behavior 40+ yrs.
Experience:  Author of cat articles and Cat Expert on Just Answer for 8+ years. Lifetime Cat Owner and Caregiver. Former Vet Asst.
1470369

We have several cats in our home all strays from the local

We have several cats in our home all strays from the local neighbourhood we have also recently rescued five kittens of between ten weeks and thirteen weeks which we eventually plant to rehome three of our own cats are male, all neutered and just lately one of the males the youngest has started terrorising the other males and girls as well, we are at the end of our tether we don't want to get rid of him and I don't think anyone would re home him we would welcome any ideas for taming him
Category: Cat
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi we still need an answer to our problem

Expert:  Cher replied 2 years ago.

Hello and welcome!

My name is ***** ***** I will be glad to help with your cat problem. My apologies that you did not receive an earlier reply. Various experts are online at different times and I recently logged in and read your question. Your patience is greatly appreciated!

Bless you for caring for so many cats/kittens! You are saving precious feline lives with your kindness and are an angel! Innocent

From your description of the situation, there are various possibilities for Oleg's sudden change in behavior. The arrival of the young kittens may have sparked a territorial reaction in him and he hopes to assert his dominance as 'top cat' in the group. Most cats in the household will have a 'leader' and Oleg may want to establish this position. It's also possible that Oleg is feeling very stressed/anxious by the addition of the new kittens and this is causing his aggression.

There is a condition called 'redirected aggression,' which occurs when a cat experiences a startling or frustrating experience and he will take out his feelings on the ones closest to him--his feline companions. Here is more information: CLICK

It would be a good idea to separate Oleg from the other cats for the time being, until he calms down. I would first suggest trying to 'reintroduce' him to the rest of the cats by petting him with a slightly dampened cloth or paper towel and then pet the other cats, then vice versa. Repeat this frequently, so they are all carrying each others' scent on their fur and smelling each other all the time. You can also pet Oleg and the rest, with an old t-shirt of yours, which has a familiar and comforting scent.

In addition, get some Feliway plug in diffusers. These emit calming pheromones which help in stressful situations. Here is more information: Feliway The feliway-type pheromone also comes in a collar, so you might want to try that: Calming Collar

There are other over the counter calming remedies for cats which are given orally; these may help, too. Choose only one to give; do not give both simultaneously:
Rescue Remedy for Pets and Composure treats

Redirected aggression usually takes a little while to subside, but it depends on the particular cat and the situation, so it's difficult to predict how long it will take for Oleg to stop this behavior. Hopefully, it won't be too long.

Once he seems a little calmer, try playing with them with interactive toys, where you direct the play, and reward him and the others with cat-healthy treats so they associate the playing and each other with something pleasurable. Here is a list of different kinds of toys Oleg and the other kitties should enjoy:

Foraging toys

http://www.zootoo.com/pet-product/cat-toys/funkitty-twist-n-treat

http://www.batarat.com/

http://www.catdvd.com/

http://www.shopfatcat.com/Cat-Toys_c_7.html

http://www.amazon.com/FroliCat-BOLT-Interactive-Laser-Pet/dp/B0021L8W6K

There's always a possibility that Oleg is exhibiting this behavior if he doesn't feel well, so an in-person evaluation by the vet, might be a good idea, if the problem doesn't resolve soon.

I would not recommend using a spray bottle, as that usually just agitates the cat and makes him more stressed. However, when you see him preparing to attack or attacking, you can stand out of sight and shake a can or jar of pennies or pebbles so the noise distracts him and stops him. Don't let him see you, because we want him to associate the startling sound with his actions and not with you.

I hope all will be well with Oleg and all your other kitties!

Please do not hesitate to respond and ask any further questions. I aim to provide you with the best service possible. If you feel I have done so, then an "excellent rating" is greatly appreciated! If not, please let me know how I can better assist you by clicking Reply. Thank you!

Warmest regards,
Cher

Experience: Author of cat articles and Cat Expert on Just Answer for 8+ years. Lifetime Cat Owner and Caregiver. Former Vet Asst.
Expert:  Cher replied 2 years ago.
Hi again, and thanks very much for your excellent rating and most generous bonus; they are highly appreciated!

Warmest regards,
Cher

PS: please disregard any automatic system prompts for additional information, as none is needed at this time. This is simply a 'thank you!' : )
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you very much for your interesting answer it has some helpful tips which we will adopt the five ferel kittens that we have rescued vary in age from twelve weeks now to four months the three youngest are in a purpose built shed outside inside which there are two large rabbit hutches and heating and windows etc so they are very well looked after and they are gradually becoming very friendly and handelable,

the two older kittens are in a very large cage ( two large cages fitted together), unfortunately we cant let them out of the cages because our other cats are constantly going in and out of the house and we don't want to risk them getting out until they have been neutered. the youngest of the two perry (girl) she will let me fuss and stroke her although I haven't tried to pick her up yet because I don't want to spook her, the oldest of the two Pandora(girl) will run as soon as she sees me approaching to possibly touch her, although at times if I catch her unaware she will let me stroke her and fuss her and seemingly enjoy it but as soon as she realises she will jump away, I make a habit of stroking and fussing the two of them when I feed them and also feeding them some tuna on my hand every day so that they will associate me with nice things, we would like to move them out to the shed to live in the other hutch and be with the other three kittens so that they get more excersise and play time because we let them out in a morning and there are various toys, and activity centres to play with but we are worried that as they are a bit older and have been in the house for a month that they will not like the other three and we could have trouble and not be able to control it.what is your opinion?

We would like to find homes for them eventually when they have been neutered and tamed there are four girls and one boy , we appreciate that it is a long haul but are prepared for the long term .

also at the same time as I said before we have the other seven cats one of which has just had major surgery for mammary lumps which we have been told is aggressive cancer and she will not survive much longer sadly, one has hypothyroidism and a mass on his heart but is responding well to the tablets another has hypothyroidism and is ok with the tablet regime she is on , and the other four are ok apart from Oleg and his behaviour obviously we need to get on top of his behaviour so that we have order in our lives to cope with the others I have ordered some felliway in the hope that this will help him.

thank you for you patience

Regards ***** *****

Expert:  Cher replied 2 years ago.
Hi again, Dave and you're most welcome!

It's my pleasure to be of help to you and your kitties!

Thanks for your reply with all the very helpful and additional information.

You're doing the right thing in keeping the two unspayed girls separated from the other cats at this time; however, you are going to have to introduce them soon, and this can be a gradual process, starting with the scent-transfer method I described in my previous answer and I will also include new introduction techniques HERE

You obviously understand cats very well and the way you're trying to get the two girl kittens used to you (and humans, in general) is great! Proceeding slowly and only petting them when they allow, plus offering tasty treats from your hand are excellent!

You're also taking very good care of the older cats with their medical conditions and I'm sorry to hear about the cat with the mammary lumps which are cancerous, but you're making her remaining time as comfortable as possible and showing her love so she feels secure. You are really amazing and so kind, coping with all these different cats with different problems! Laughing

I'm glad you've ordered the Feliway, and I feel it will help with Oleg's situation. The key is always to do things gradually and consistently.

I hope things will continue to go well with all the cats!

Warmest regards,
Cher
Expert:  Cher replied 2 years ago.
Hi again, Dave.

Thank you so much for your excellent rating and most generous bonus; they are greatly appreciated!

Please keep me posted on how everything is progressing, if you are able. Thanks!

Warmest regards,
Cher