Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

my cats fur has become very matted. is the a sign of anyth

my cats fur has become very matted. is the a sign of anything
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.
Scott Nimmo :

My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

Before we start can you tell me how old your cat is and if he or she has any existing health problems of any sort?

Customer:

my eleven year old cats coat has become very matted. i have brushed it and quite a lot of hair comes off. it is not causing the cat any distress, but i wondered if there

Customer:

is

Customer:

if it is contageous as i have a dog and two other cats

Scott Nimmo :

Having a matted coat is actually quite common in older cats and as long as the skin underneath looks quite healthy then the chances are that this will not affect your dog or your other two cats.

Scott Nimmo :

Younger cats spend a lot of time grooming and so their coats are usually pristine, however as a cat gets older it will tend to groom much less and so the matts arrive. They may groom less because they have low key dental problems such as gingivitis or because they have got a bit stiffer as they have got older and so are reluctant to bend that far back.

Customer:

just checked the skin under neath the matts and the skin is fine. could i put anything of these matts, (oil oive) or something natural to try to tease them out

Scott Nimmo :

A bit of oil may help releas them , that can do no harm, but to remove them all you can do is to gradually clip and then tug at them intil the matt comes away, take care not to cut the skin though ...

Scott Nimmo :

Many cats will not let their owner do this, many a time I have had to sedate cats and then remove the matts with clippers ...

Customer:

our cat is pretty placid, so i think i will try this. can i continue to brush to remove the excess hair.

Scott Nimmo :

Once the mats are removed either gradually by yourself or by a vet or groomer then it is a simple matter to comb brush your cat's fur twice a week from then on to prevent them recurring ...

Customer:

the fur will then grow back ?

Scott Nimmo :

Oh yes, the fur should grow back well, I have never know it not to ...

Customer:

many thanks for your help

Scott Nimmo :

No problem, very glad to have advised you ...