Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Hi I have a cat that I suspect has ringworm on his chin, he

Hi I have a cat that I suspect has ringworm on his chin, he is a free roaming cat. is it safe for the cat if I put daktarin cream on his sore looking chin?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- To make sure we are speaking of the same medication can you check the active ingredient and see if it is Miconazole?
2- Can you describe the appearance of the lesion?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** return with your answers in a few minutes

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
ok
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok,

The medication is Daktarin Cream (miconazole nitrate 20 mg per g) 30 g Cream.

The lesion (no real lesion) started out looking like a bit of cat acne just under his bot***** *****p on his chin and this was about 5 days ago it was noticed. it is now getting inflamed but not stopping him from eating. it is swollen a bit and no real lesion to speak of really, just looks very sore. he is sensitive to me touching it. He is a Maine Coon

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Kim, in response to your question it is ok to use Daktarin cream. But, it is also important to stop him from rubbing area and licking it off. This is what you can do:

1- Pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop him from pawing at the area to lick it off.
2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Wash area with this soap 2 times a day. If you do not find the above soap use over the counter antibacterial soap.
3- After washing affected area as above apply Daktarin cream. Do this 2 times a day for the next 10-14 days.
4- If no significant improvement after doing the above follow up with your family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your help but just to clarify...i must get something to prevent him licking this off right? is it poisonous if he does ingest some of this?