Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience.
14018973

My cat is currently in an animal hospital. He suffered trauma

My cat is currently in an animal hospital. He suffered trauma after, most likely being hit by a car. They have wired his jaw at the front. But say there might be nothing they could do about the back, although they arent sure about the fracture there as there is still a lot of swelling and will re-look after the weekend. He also may need one of his eye's removed due to the impact. He has only lost 2 teeth am hoping he might be okay. My friend thinks his jaw might be able to heal with a lot of time??
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.
Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 13 years. I'm sorry to hear about your guy's injuries. Based on what you've described as far as the extent of the injuries, a hit by car would be my biggest suspicion too. I've dealt with a lot of trauma in my years of working as an ER vet. The one thing about cases with significant trauma is that time is a huge factor for a lot of them. Initially the progression is stabilization of the biggest issues and then working forward from there as time passes and shows how the tissues are healing / responding. It sounds like they wired a symphaseal fracture of his mandible. If there are other fractures of the jaw, there are a lot that have these heal with time. Some fractures would best be fixed with surgical repair, but a lot have rest and time to allow the body to stabilize itself. The big thing is to take care of the body while it is healing itself. With a possible jaw fracture, eating and drinking may be a challenge. There could be a need for a feeding tube to be placed in his neck called an esophageal feeding tube. This would allow you to feed him easily while not having to have him chew or move his jaws to get food in. This would be a consideration depending on how he is doing. I would absolutely have hopes of him pulling through all this. If he ends up needing to have his eye removed, he can do great with just one eye! I'm hoping for the best for him.