Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

Why does my 3 year old female cat keep coming in and out of

Why does my 3 year old female cat keep coming in and out of her cat flap?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb.

I recently came online and see that your question about Millie hasn't been answered. I'm so sorry that you've had to wait for a response, but if you still need assistance, I'd like to help if I can.

I do have a few questions to ask first, if you don't mind:

1. Is she otherwise acting like her normal self? Eating, drinking, active, etc?
2. Has anything changed in your household or in your routine?
3. Any possible changes outdoors like a new cat in the neighborhood or dogs?
4. How long will she come in and then go out? For example, just a few times or does she keep it up for an hour?

There may be a delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you and I may be offline at the time you respond. But I'll get back to you as soon as I can since I'm on the computer some part of every day.

Thanks for your patience. Deb

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello there,

I adopted Millie from the RSPCA four months ago. She was timid at first, but she and I have bonded very well. I was told that she doesn't like other cats, so she is the only cat in the house, and gets plenty of love and fuss!

She eats very well, has plenty of water.

There has been building work going on accross the road, and I have seen a large black cat in the garden a couple of times. Sometimes, she will come and go several times in a short apace of time.

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.

Viv:
Thanks for the additional information.

I have several thoughts as to why she might be behaving as you describe.

1. This can actually be normal behavior for a lot of cats. Since you've only had her for four months and she was a rescue, it may have taken her this long to feel completely comfortable in her new home so she's engaging in "normal" cat activity.

I personally suspect that these cats think they're going to miss something so they keep changing their minds about where they want to be.
It can also become learned behavior over time so it's something that she may continue to do.

2. It's possible that she's feeling a little threatened or uneasy about the cat in the garden or by the noise of construction across the street. She may want to reassure herself that she still has a safe place to which she can retreat or escape if she needs to.

For all the years that I've had cats, I've never had an outside cat flap so typically I've had to act as the doorman (or person) when my cats have asked to be let in and then out again in a short period of time. When my cats behave this way, I ignore them.....they generally become distracted by outdoor activities (there's always so much to do out there) and go on about their day.

I'm assuming that she eventually stops the behavior because she gets distracted by the multitude of interesting things going on outside or if she stays inside, she may decide it's time to take a nap.

But, if you were wondering if her behavior was secondary to a medical issue, I can assure you that it's not. It's basically a cat being a cat and one of the many reasons why they are so endlessly interesting.

I hope this helps. Deb

Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.
Viv:
Thanks for the rating and bonus; they're greatly appreciated.

And, best of luck with Millie; I hope you have many happy years together:) Regards, Deb

Kindly ignore the information request.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Dr Deb,

I really appreciate your expertise. The answer you gave seems to fit the situation exactly and has cleared my mind!.

Kind regards,

Viv.

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.
Viv:
You're more than welcome:) Glad to be able to reassure you about her behavior. Deb