Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

One of my 11 year old indoor cats was sick around 4 am this

One of my 11 year old indoor cats was sick around 4 am this morning. It is now 9 am and she has been crying and grumbling ever since. She does groom a lot and we are used to hairballs making her sick before actually bringing up the plug of hair but she has not brought up a hairball yet and she has never behaved this way before. What could be causing this and should we see a vet?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 years ago.
Scott Nimmo :

My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

Please list all the symptoms you are seeing for me ...

Customer:

She has vomited, pretty much undigested dry food. She does this sometimes if she has a hairball on its way up, on this occasion there has been no hairball. She is not happy and grumbles and cries if I approach her which is not usual. I am wondering if she is in pain.

Customer:

Actually Scott she is grumbling and crying for no apparent reason, not just when she is approached.

Scott Nimmo :

You could be right this could be a hairball, if this is the case then it is rarely a serious situation, but if she is grumbling and crying for no apparent reason then it could well be something worse. At the end of the day this sort of thing is always a gamble, if you want to be 100% sure you are doing the right thing you should have a vet check her over without delay.

In the meantime until you can get her to a vet all you can do is to keep her comfortable and reassured.

Sorry I cannot be more specific ...

Customer:

Pretty much what I was thinking then.

Customer:

Scott Nimmo :

Better safe then sorry ...

Scott Nimmo :

Please let me know how things go ...

Customer:

I have just checked on her and she has brought up some fluid with specks of blood in, so I am going to take her to our vet.