Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

Hi There, My cat has fleas, unfortunately I only noticed

Hi There,
My cat has fleas, unfortunately I only noticed the day I put his monthly doses of anti fleas drops on (I use the one that its applied at the back of the neck). My vet told me (and sold me) the right product to make my cat flea free. Unfortunately because of having used the regular stuff the same day the vet asked me to wait for two weeks before using it. I will be disinfecting the whole house as soon as possible but I keep thinking there is not much point in doing it if I can't give the medication to my cats until two weeks have past.
The thought of living with fleas is too much for me. My question is: If I use cat shampoo the same day I disinfect the house, would that work? Can I use the shampoo at any point, independently from the spot-on? or can I combine spot-on treatment with shampoo? Thanks!
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Drew :

Hello, thanks for your question today! I am Dr. Drew, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

Dr. Drew :

Any shampoo will reduce the effectiveness of a topical spot-on flea prevention product.

Dr. Drew :

SO, it's safe to shampoo, but you may be reducing the effectiveness of the overall flea treatment approach.

Dr. Drew :

You may want to ask your vet about an oral (pill) form of flea prevention, which could be given immediately rather than waiting to apply a spot-on product.

Customer:

Thanks for your reply. The over the counter spot on I have used has not make any effect and I can't use the one recommended by my vet in two weeks. I thought about shampooing him on the meantime (while I disinfect the house), and them a few days later giving him the spot on provided by the vet (a few days later when I'm disinfecting the house again. Will this reduce the effect of the vet's treatment?

Dr. Drew :

As long as the bath is done before the spot-on is applied, it should not reduce the effectiveness of the spot-on.

Customer:

So there is no risk for the animal to use both in the same day either? first shampooing and second spot on

Dr. Drew :

in general, no - but I don't know the ingredients or concentrations of the products you are using, so I can't tell you 100% that same-day use is OK - I usually try to separate a bath by at least 24 hours before applying a spot-on product.

Customer:

great, what is the most effective treatment the spot on or the pills?

Dr. Drew :

Pills are typically more effective - since they get into the bloodstream and can't be washed away.

Dr. Drew :

I'm not sure what brands are sold in the UK, but in the US we have Capstar, Comfortis, Cheristin, all of which will start killing fleas within an hour after a dose.

Customer:

and can I use over the counter ones or do I need them to be prescribed?

Dr. Drew :

again, not sure about UK pharmacy laws, but only Capstar is sold in the US without a prescription, the others are prescription-only.

Dr. Drew :

Capstar lasts for only 24 hours,

Dr. Drew :

while the others last for a month.

Customer:

I understand, Can the pills be combined with spot on or shampoo?

Dr. Drew :

yes, if needed, but typically that's unnecessary.

Dr. Drew :

I have to step out of the office for a moment,

Dr. Drew :

do you have further questions?

Customer:

ok, I think I'm clear. So I suppose the best is to call my vet and just get the pills as I would be able to use them asap.

Dr. Drew :

correct.

Customer:

I think that is all. Thanks!!!

Dr. Drew :

ok, good luck and best wishes! :)

Dr. Drew, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: Small Animal Medicine and Surgery