Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Hi there. My two cats ferociously rub their eyes and ears and

Customer Question

Hi there. My two cats ferociously rub their eyes and ears and have some scabbs around their neck and shoulders. They do not have fleas but I am wondering whether they could have cheyletiella mites? One if them does have some "dandruff" but not the other and the dandruff doesn't seem to be moving. If that do have cheyletiella, would broad line be effective?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your kitties are very itchy with lesions on their ears, around their eyes and on their necks and shoulders.
Because both of your kitties are affected I would be suspicious of some sort of contagious problem, and fleas and mites would be high on my list.
Cheyletiella mites tend to affect the back and tail head areas more than the areas you are describing. Broadline has Fipronil and should help in the treatment of those mites however, if they are present. You must also treat the kitty's environment though as these are mites that can live in the environment. Products that can kill fleas in the environment like Siphotrol Plus Area treatment should work, as well as washing all blankets and bedding (theirs and yours) in scalding hot water should work.
Other possible mites that could cause the symptoms you are noticing include ear mites, Sarcoptes mites, and Demodex gatoi (a contagious demodex that lives on the skin surface and prefers to live on the ears, face and neck areas) .
Depending upon which mites your kitties have the treatment will vary. Revolution treats ear mites, fleas, cheyletiella, and sarcoptic mites. Demodex gatoi is much harder to treat, and we use lime sulfur dips every 5 to 7 days for 4 to 6 treatments.
Ideally I would have at least one of your kitties examined by their veterinarian to determine what you are dealing with so they can be treated appropriately.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.