Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My 7 year old cat isn't himself, doesn't want to go out and

Customer Question

My 7 year old cat isn't himself, doesn't want to go out and prefares to sleep. He hasn't gone off his food, but isn't interested with the other cats either. I'm worried about him - he doesn't even bother to go upstairs to bed!
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

I am concerned about Puudy based on what you have reported. His sleepy behavior makes me wonder if he is running a fever or he has a problem that is causing him to be lethargic such as low electrolytes (especially potassium) or anemia.

Dr. Joey :

If he was my patient I would need to do a good physical exam followed possibly by some lab testing, if the problem is not apparent. If he has a fever and he goes outdoors then he might have an abscess (focal bacterial infection) hiding somewhere. This usually responds to antibiotic therapy, which is prescription. However, if there is no obvious sore/lesion then a search for problems that can cause a fever is needed. This would require some lab testing (CBC, chemistry profile, urine check).

JACUSTOMER-zscp98oc- :

I hav'nt seen any abscesses on him. Af the moment he us sitting on his favourite chair outside in the sun (

Dr. Joey :

Hmm...then it is very possible there is something else (non-abscess related).

I regret that I cannot be more specific for you on what might be the cause, but I, too, would need to perform the physical exam and testing I mentioned above to be able to know what is troubling Puudy.

Dr. Joey :

The best thing you can do at home is encourage him to eat (sounds like he is still eating) and remain comfortable.

JACUSTOMER-zscp98oc- :

Where I put him) looking bright eyed with a wet nose. I looked at his gums and they don't look pale, but his gums are black and pink.

JACUSTOMER-zscp98oc- :

He sometimes growls if I pick him up which is unusual, but doesn,

Dr. Joey :

These sound like very good signs in addition to the fact he is still eating It seems you could safely monitor him today. If he has other symptoms such as vomit/diarrhea, not eating, difficulty urinating then you need to have him seen.

JACUSTOMER-zscp98oc- :

Sorry, asi was going to add, he doesn't react after growling, no spiitin biting or anything

Dr. Joey :

As long as you feel this growling is "normal" and no reflective of pain, then you could monitor. But pain in his abdomen can be a sign of a urinary problem (difficulty urinating) which I have to say is a true medical emergency.

JACUSTOMER-zscp98oc- :

He has been using his litter tray, which I keep an eye on because he has had cystitis twice in the past

Dr. Joey :

Excellent. So long as he is producing urine and not straining in the box, possibly with vocalizations, then probably no worries about urinary problem. Cats with this type of lethargy are often a mystery and it does require a bit of searching for discover the problem. If this lasts another 24-48 hours then he really does need to an exam by his veterinarian.

Dr. Joey :

Please let me know if you have any further questions. If not, then keep me posted. I am always happy to answer followup questions. You can reply to this question at any time to submit a followup. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If there’s anything else I can do, let me know – it’s been a pleasure working with you and I hope to assist you again soon! Kindly submit a rating as you exit our chat.

Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience: 15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Just to let you know that whilst Pud has been enjoying the sunshine, he has had some chicken, prawns and cat milk, and is now washing himself and licking his lips.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.
This is just wonderful. Hopefully he just needs a little rest and TLC to be a new cat tomorrow. Thank you for the update. Feel free to let me know if things change.