Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience treating cats in my practice.
16881297

My cat is a healthy 2 years. She retched up a large string

Customer Question

My cat is a healthy 2 years. She retched up a large string of mucus this morning but swallowed it back down. Now she keeps trying to get it up. Help! What can I do ?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
It appears to me that Nelly probably has a hair ball or something else causing a partial obstruction. This mass is too far down her digestive tract to come out her mouth but it is still causing nausea. The best thing to do is purchase a product called Laxatone or Petromalt at the local pet store. Give 1/4 inch of this paste every 4 hrs for the first day and then this same dose twice per day for 2 days. If she is feeling better, then we have moved this partial obstruction through the digestive tract and she will be fine. Keep Nelly on a maintenance dose of Laxatone twice per week to prevent this from occurring again.

If Nelly is still gagging, you will have to have your vet examine her to be sure we have not missed something.

Good Luck!!
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****