Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience treating cats in my practice.
16881297

My cat occasionally brings all his food up in the morning but

Customer Question

My cat occasionally brings all his food up in the morning but will then quite happily eat another bowl of food without incident. It never happens after an evening feed. There is no sign of hairballs. We keep him in at night.
Can you advise
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
It appears to me that your guy has a hair ball or something else causing a partial obstruction. This mass is too far down his digestive tract to come out his mouth but it is still causing nausea occasionally. The best thing to do is purchase a product called Laxatone or Petromalt at the local pet store. Give 1/4 inch of this paste every 4 hrs for the first day and then this same dose twice per day for 2 days. If he is feeling better, then we have moved this partial obstruction through the digestive tract and he will be fine. Keep him on a maintenance dose of Laxatone twice per week to prevent this from occurring again.

If he is still vomiting, you will have to have your vet examine your guy to be sure we have not missed something.
 Considering what you have described, this is the most common cause and this minor treatment will resolve this for your guy.
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Have already been using product and although hair balls are not a problem still left with aforesaid condition

Since that is the case, then this is most likely due to a minor GERD problem (Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease) which causes excessive stomach acid....
Try giving your guy Pepcid AC at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs for a few days to see if this will help. This is available over the counter at the chemist. Since this is only occasional. this is not a serious condition but if it helps, you may want to give this periodically.
Thank you so much for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I hope your guy will feel better soon!
Have a wonderful day!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

All that is happening is that I'm continuously getting emails from you about rating you. I have done so