Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My cat is 15 she has been to vets in June following a flea

Customer Question

My cat is 15 she has been to vets in June following a flea outbreak. She recieved an injection together with a stronger flea treatment broadline. She has had two courses of this and continues to have dried scabs on her back she now has an inflamed back hind leg joint
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm concerned about the inflamed joint because that isn't consistent with a flea saliva allergy for which she received an injection - most likely a glucocorticosteroid such as methyprednisolone. Is she favoring that leg? Licking at the joint? I need to consider an infected joint, a joint with structural damage, or even a malignancy at her age. Please take a look at this image - the hind leg is on your right - and tell me which joint is involved:
I'll await your reply.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi thankyou for your reply
It's her left hind knee joint she does lick this and pulls her leg away. It does not feel warm to touch spongy not hard.
You're quite welcome. "Spongy" suggests effusion - a joint distended with excess joint fluid seen most often with structural damage such as a torn anterior cruciate ligament. It's also consistent with malignancy. It's hurting her as evidenced by her licking and withdrawing the leg. You'll need to have the joint palpated by her vet and X-rayed to better understand what's going on in that area. I understand that we're not going to be performing surgery at her age and so a thorough exam is likely to be for academic reasons only. It would, however, give you a prognosis and possible conservative approach; for example, a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) such as meloxicam.
Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thankyou so much for your advice I have arranged an appointment to see our vet tomorrow. Gut instinct tells me it's not good and just wanted to be sure. She is sleeping more than usual and tends to be wanting more human staying in the same position on the sofa for many hours
I understand your concern. I'm going to check back with you in a few days for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.
Please disregard the info request.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It's my pleasure. I'll speak to you soon.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi my cats seen our local vet. She has received an antibiotic injection and also an anitinflammatory. I am taking her back in two weeks. In view of her age she's being managed conservatively. Thank you for your support

Thank you for taking the time time to let me know. A pragmatic and reasonable approach.

Please disregard the info request. You may receive an inappropriate follow up from the site ostensibly from me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.