Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience:  8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics
25524280

my cat is 20 yrs old. He was diagnosed with kidney probs 5yrs

my cat is 20 yrs old. He was diagnosed with kidney probs 5yrs ago but without treatment has carried on. Now, however he has been pawing his drinking bowl and moving it around. Going out in the rain and not grooming, peeing around the home, and wanting raw meat instead of regular cat food. Is it time to say goodnight?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Susan :

Hi, I can help you with our question today.

Dr. Susan :

I'm sorry about your situation with Dwezal. It can be difficult to make these decisions, even at 20 years of age.

Dr. Susan :

From what you are describing, it does sound like he is not experiencing a good quality of life.

Dr. Susan :

I think we have two choices here.

Dr. Susan :

We can opt to try to do everything, and aggressively approach his treatment with diagnostic testing, IV fluid therapy, and other supportive care like anti-nausea medication.

Dr. Susan :

Otherwise, if you do not wish to go forward with aggressive testing and treatment, I do think that humane euthanasia would be an appropriate choice here.

Dr. Susan :

Living to age 20 after being diagnosed with kidney disease 5 years ago is amazing.

Dr. Susan :

Please let me know if I can help you further with your question.

Dr. Susan :

If you are satisfied with the answer, please click on "Rate Our Conversation".

Dr. Susan :

I will be happy to continue until you are 100% satisfied.

Customer:

Thankyou for your advice, dwezal was my dads cat, he died 6yrs ago. So of course I only want what is best for him. The trouble is Dwezal still enjoys a cuddle and eats ok, even if it is raw meat. I dont want him to suffer, but he has changed so much in the last 6weeks, he no longer sleeps well, and seems disorientated but only sometimes. But he is a bag of bones, and this pawing and tipping up his water dish is an ongoing problem, this only started 2 days ago, do you think this is like a dementia?

Dr. Susan :

Well, we can see dementia in some animals, so I suppose that's possible. I understand where you are coming from here, looking at his quality of life and still seeing some good things.

Dr. Susan :

However, I always counsel people to make the decision sooner rather than later. It can be difficult to determine when the time should be.

Dr. Susan :

They will have good days mixed in with the bad ones. It is not simply one day that they stop enjoying life.

Dr. Susan :

I just want to make sure that you do no look back in hind sight and say that you waited too long and that he suffered because of that.

Customer:

Thankyou for your help. Maybe it is time to let him go, hard as it is. He has had a great life for the last 15 years.

Customer:

My dad adopted him when he was 5, he was ex feral. He was a nasty piece of work back then but dad loved him and soon he was the most faithful animal you could wish for. When he was 10 he was run over and had pins put in his hips, legs and ankles, but still he carried on. Then when my dad died he came to live with me in the country and he ruled the roost, no other cat was safe (or dog for that matter!) He even tried to take on a husky I was walking, never seen a big dog hide behind my skirts in fear of a cat LOL!!! Its going to be hard to say goodbye, but then I,m thinking of my grief and not his suffering and that would not be fair. Thankyou for helping me, God bless. Mandy.

Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience: 8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I had Dwezal put to sleep last Fri the 17th. It was very peaceful and he now has a little grave in my garden which a little Robin Red Breast comes and pays his respects every morning.