Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience.
14018973

Hi my cat had yellow looked like seeds at first on her back,

Hi my cat had yellow looked like seeds at first on her back, I have removed these with a flea brush and treated, now has large hair clump in place that can't be brushed out
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.
Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 13 years. Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear about this large hair clump being on your girl. More than likely some material served as a nidus for that hair to clump up. Could it have been some grass, a bur, or some other sticky material? Those are the suspicions. When a large hair clump forms, they can be very hard to get out with a brush to near impossible. The reason is that the mat is so tight and can't be loosened up. Honestly, a lot of these large hair clumps have to be trimmed out with clippers. This is something that a groomer or a vet should do as an owner trying to do it on their own runs the risk of cutting the skin. I've seen numerous cats at my ER clinic where owners tried to remove hair mats with scissors and accidentally cut the skin. There is one brush I really like to try and remove smaller mats with. It is called the Furminator. I don't know what the availability is there in the UK but here in the US it is readily available and very good at breaking up smaller mats.