Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

Hello Dr, I got kitty some blood tests and they indicate

Customer Question

Hello Dr,
I got kitty some blood tests and they indicate lymphoma. No biopsy was performed or anything else. FIV and leukemia were negative though. He is a young cat we got the first vaccination and stared chemo. He had a very bad reaction to the second vaccination last night he was wormed orally at the same time. This morning he would not move out of bed and was in a lot of pain...and stopped eating took him to vets today and they have him in over night. They say he is eating now and gave him meds for pain...what do you think?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.

Hello again Fiona.

I'm sorry to hear that Mange has had so many issues. I do have a few questions to ask about him first, if you don't mind:

1. I'm curious to know how the diagnosis of lymphoma was made?...although this may or may not be relevant to his current issues.

2. Do I understand you correctly that he was vaccinated yesterday and then this morning was sluggish and painful? If so, what vaccine was he given yesterday

There may be a slight delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you. Thanks for your patience. Deb

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It was from blood test I just called now and the surgery is open until 7 it's now 6. I asked for the exact copy of bloods for a second opinion from a friend in America... and receptionist says she can't give me this now. She says vet and nurse are in surgery...it's an open clinic until 7? I asked her if the vet or nurse could call me she says she can't guarantee this? I could possibly go the 20k trek to the surgery to see the vet now...and I would see the vet? My cat is currently in the hospital? He got fevaxyn pentofel already and he was fine...last night was his second dose but he is on chemo...I didn't get a sticker for the second dose :-(

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.

Fiona:

It's not necessary that you obtain a copy of his test results immediately. And, I'm not necessarily doubting the interpretation of them either. I was just curious. If you do manage to get a copy at some point, you can share them with me.

As to what might have happened which would cause lethargy and pain, I have to suspect that he had a reaction to the vaccine he was given. These reactions typically develop about 12-24 hours after a vaccine is given.
While most cats tolerate vaccines very well (especially the first one), sometimes subsequent ones will cause reactions which might include temporary fever, vomiting, anorexia (not eating), and/or depression/lethargy , which usually disappears within 24 hours. Occasionally there is pain as well, usually at the site of the injection.

The fact that he's now eating and appears much improved (or at least I assume this to be the case) is what I would expect if he did, indeed, experience a vaccine reaction.

If I suspect a vaccine reaction in my patients, then depending on the severity of the reaction, I encourage premedication with Benadryl prior to the vaccine being given in the future or I might discontinue that vaccine altogether.

While I couldn't entirely rule out lymphoma as a factor, the timing is very suspicious that a vaccine reaction was responsible for his symptoms.

I hope this helps and that he comes home to you soon. Deb