How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Kara Your Own Question
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Category: Cat
Satisfied Customers: 17112
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867
Type Your Cat Question Here...
Dr. Kara is online now

my cat has a broken thigh bone following a rta. she has been

Resolved Question:

my cat has a broken thigh bone following a rta. she has been xrayed and this is her only injury. they say that they do not have an orthopedic surgeon available until next wednesday.....she got hit tuesday night. they have her caged and comfortable..is this ok to leave her so long????? very worried christine
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'm sorry to hear that Lottie was hit and suffered a fractured femur.
While making her wait a week isn't ideal, it isn't necessarily horrible if they can keep her pain well controlled and her fracture isn't an open fracture (bone coming through the skin). I'm sure part of the delay is related to timing.
Major surgery after being hit hard enough to cause a femoral fracture should not be done anyway for at least 2-3 days to make sure no other symptoms show, especially bleeding or trauma to her chest. That means the first day surgery should be attempted anyway would be Friday or Saturday. Being the weekend I can see that they wouldn't want to perform surgery until Monday, and if she needs to wait until Wednesday that isn't much of a difference.
Even if you could find another surgeon to perform the surgery Monday transporting her with a fracture won't be easy or comfortable for her.
The key is keeping her comfortable and confined so the fracture doesn't worsen.
If however the fracture is open then I would recommend surgery sooner. Open fractures are at a much greater risk of serious infections.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Dr. Kara and other Cat Specialists are ready to help you