Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience treating cats in my practice.
16881297

Our 11 year old female neutered cat has started to poop in

Customer Question

Our 11 year old female neutered cat has started to poop in the living room and dining room. She has a healthy appetite and a good coat. I think it is a protest! We recently had our kitchen redone which took about 3 months. Then we went away for a month (with a neighbour feeding and petting her daily at home because she does not like to go with us). She is free to come and go as she pleases. She has a litter tray indoors which only she uses. We have her sister who spits at her and another cat who is friendly but does jump on her every now and again.
Any advice would be most welcome.
Denise
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.
Good Morning Denise,and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
From what you have told me, Denise, it appears that your cat is suffering from some type of stress that has caused this inappropriate elimination. This could be due to a territorial issue or some other stress such as when you left for a period of time....you know cats, Denise, hey are very sensitive. . The first thing to do is to have your vet examine your cat to be sure there is not a medical reason for this behavior. If this is ruled out, the next thing you need to do is to purchase from any pet store a product called Feliway. This is a feline pheromone that acts as a calming agent and will discourage this bad behavior. Follow the directions on the bottle. His may be what you have already tried but if not, try this. Next, make sure to change all litter boxes to different places especially where there is little traffic. Keep these boxes extremely clean.
Try using different types of litter and make sure to clean these areas with an odor eliminator such as Nature’s Miracle.
Use aluminum foil or double sided tape in the problem areas which may discourage using these spots.
If this is not sufficient, your vet has medication that can help with this problem and, if used along with the Feliway, hopefully, will be successful. These medications are antianxiety drugs such as Fluoxetine or Clomipramine. Here is a website that has more tips:
www.petplace.com/cats/inappropriate-elimination/page1.aspx
Click CLOSE WINDOWS to get into this site.
http://pets.webmd.com/cats/guide/cat-behavior-problem-medications
Since you have tried the other natural remedies, Denise, it would be good to ask your vet for this medication. It can be very effective at changing your girls inappropriate elimination. This medication can be given for a few months to change this behavior. IT is not given for life, Denise.
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That all makes sense. At the moment I am putting her in the downstairs bathroom overnight with a litter tray and a sprayed blanket in her box. Interestingly she did not soil the box at all when we were away and went outside to do her business. She is a complex character! What do you suggest we should do overnight for her?

Hi DEnise....cats are very complicated but if she prefers to go outside, it is better to leave her out if she wants to go out instead of locking her in with a box....I am afraid se will get more confused. If it is not possible to allow your girl outside, then use a room with a litter box and spraying the Feliway to see if this will help. If not, ask your vet for the medication, Denise.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Forgot to say Thank You! Will take her to our vet for meds.

Good for you, Denise....and you are very welcome!! Sending your girl a hug!!
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: 25 years of experience treating cats in my practice.
Thank you so much, Denise, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help.
Have a wonderful day!