Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience.
14018973

My Persian cat can't close her mouth she is 14 years old and

My Persian cat can't close her mouth she is 14 years old and she has got some bad teeth yesterday she sneezed and there was blood in the mucas is this serious.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.
Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 13 years. Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear about Sacha's situation with not being able to close her mouth. I'm going to say that I would be very suspicious that she has dental disease in her mouth that has caused a tooth to become loose and it has shifted / moved and is now blocking her from closing her mouth completely. I see a similar case to Sacha at my ER every 3 to 4 months and it usually is a tooth that has shifted causing this presentation. Visualizing which tooth is the issue is a challenge for those not used to looking in a cat's mouth. The other possible issue would be if something is caught on a tooth. I've seen a couple where a piece of plastic was caught on top of a molar causing similar signs. The best thing to do here is to get to your vet for them to do a thorough oral exam and to identify which of these is the issue. More than likely a tooth will need to be extracted in this situation. There really isn't anything you can do at home for this except to make sure soft food that is easier to chew is available along with water until you can get to your vet.