Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Hi there, I have found a stray cat stuck on a neighbour's shed

Hi there, I have found a stray cat stuck on a neighbour's shed roof who is limping on her front left leg. She didn't seem too distressed when I picked her up (carefully!) to get her down but once I had I noticed her limp. I'm not sure how serious her injury is as she didn't object to my touching her and isn't shying away when I go to stroke her, but she won't come inside in the warm and is currently taking shelter in a bush in the garden! She has plenty of food and water near her and purred when I put them down for her so seems comfortable. I won't get a chance to take her to a vet until Wednesday so was just wondering what I can/should do to help her in the meantime?
Thanks for your help!
Lex
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, Lex. I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with this poor wee one today.

You are a star for helping this poor kitty.

If she isn't showing a severe limp, dragging the foot, nor reacting negatively to you palpating the leg, then we'd be less worried about severe damage like a fractured bone or nerve damage. Instead, we'd be more concerned about a potential muscle strain/sprain or a cat bite abscess.

In regards ***** ***** this limp at this stage, it would be best to have her inside so that you could monitor her and restrict her jumping/activity. If she absolutely won't allow it, then we would want to do just as you are giving her a safe place to stay outdoors where she doesn't have to go far for food/water (and hopefully will rest the leg).

Further to that, I do just want to note that you don't want to be tempted to give her any human pain relief treatments. People often do make the mistake of doing so and don't realize that cats cannot metabolize our drugs and that they will do more harm then good (especially ones like Paracetamol are terribly toxic). So, do make sure to avoid these. If you are keen to give anything, I would just note that you could use nutrient supplements lke fish oil and/or glucosamine/chondroitin. In regards ***** ***** supplementation, this is a nutrient supplement that is available at your vets, pet shops, and health food stores (as capsules, liquids, and even treats). It works by aiding joint suppleness by helping cartilage replenish itself and blocking enzyme destruction of cartilage in the joint. Often we can find this helpful in animals with sore joints as it can take some of the discomfort away. Normally we give kitties 50mg glucosamine + 15mg chondroitin a day per 10 pounds of body weight. So, can consider trying this with her. As well, we can find fish oil (omega 3+ 6) beneficial for cats with sore joints. This is a natural anti-inflammatory and can reduce inflammation in sore joints. Typically, we will give 90 mg EPA and 60 mg DHA per 5lbs of body weight. So, this too would be something to consider if you are keen to give something before she is seen.

Finally, if you can find a focal area of discomfort, you can also warm compress this area. To make a safe warmer, just fill a clean sock 2/3rds full with uncooked white rice. This can then be tied closed and microwaved (approx 1-1.5 min). Of course, do make sure to shake it before use to allow the heat to distribute and do make sure its not too hot as we don’t want to burn her.If it cools, you can re-warm as required.

Overall, if she has a limp that is not severe and she can use the leg without obvious pain, then the mainstay here would be rest for that leg. And to achieve that, you can keep doing just as you are. Further to this, you can consider the above supports and if she will listen to reason then it would be best for her to come indoors so that she can be somewhere warm and safe to rest this leg.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience: I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.