Cats
Cats, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have spent many years in mixed practice, dealing with domestic cats and show specimens alike.
76153631

My cat is nearly 23 years old and has a tooth which has punctured

Customer Question

My cat is nearly 23 years old and has a tooth which has punctured the gum, this happened over a year ago. We initially took her to the vet who put her on a course of antibiotics and it seemed to heal. About two months later the same tooth punctured the gum again and I have been bathing it with iodine and salt water to keep it clean as because of her age, a trip to the vet now is out of the question, it's too traumatic for her. It's just not closing up and I was wondering if you could suggest something. Thank you.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cats replied 2 years ago.
Cats :

Hi there, vet Andrew here. When you post a message I will be notified and will come online.

JACUSTOMER-2yzqqk9w- :

Hello Andrew, thank you for responding, I am online now

Cats :

No problem. Is Ciara still able to eat and drink?

JACUSTOMER-2yzqqk9w- :

Yes, she doesn.t seem to be in pain but where the hole is it keeps getting infected.

Cats :

Are you able to open her mouth and clean around there easily, or does it distress her?

JACUSTOMER-2yzqqk9w- :

I can keep cleaning it but I don't know why it doesn't heal - I suppose it's her age. The salt water does help of course and I still have a little iodine left but nothing seems to heal up the hole

JACUSTOMER-2yzqqk9w- :

There's a hole in her face where the tooth has come through the gum and the skin has burst open so you can see her tooth and gum looking at her cheek

Cats :

The answer, of course, is to have the tooth removed surgically as it will physically be reopening the hole, which will never heal. However, I realise this is not the point of your question. Your best bet is to find a good tool for cleaning the hole - many clients in your position find that a pointy-type cotton bud is ideal.

Cats :

The idea is to keep cleaning the holes, and with time, they may be able to heal over and form a permanent hole. Keeping the area clean with salt water is ideal, as infection will stop the wound stabilising.

JACUSTOMER-2yzqqk9w- :

Thank you, ***** ***** you're right and I am doing all that can be done bearing in mind I don't think she'd come through an operation. You have put my mind at rest that I am doing the right thing. Kind regards

Cats :

Thanks for the rating. If you have any concerns you may reply to this thread free of charge. Regards, ***** *****