Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

aat was hit by car in June and suffered injuries which

aat was hit by car in June and suffered facial injuries which required staples to a gash on his chin.For some time he sneezed blood a lot as if something in his nose was bothering him.This stopped after a week or two but has recurred. What could be causing this now and what should I do about it?Taking him to a vet is very costly
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

This sounds concerning, especially to be having relapse of blood four months after the initial incident. It is possible to be related to the previous head trauma, and if so, my concern is that there could be an infection or even a shard of bone from a previous fracture that is migrating and causing issues. Or a tooth may have broken and now the root is migrating into the nasal cavity.

This is something that is really going to require an exam by your vet. If this was my patient I would need to perform an examination followed by some X-rays of the head/skull to know if there is a problem in the nasal cavity (sometimes dental X-rays are much better than full skull X-rays to look at this area).

Dr. Joey :

Advanced imaging (such as CT or MRI scan) might actually be more beneficial to truly elucidate what is going on in this area, but that would be expensive.

Dr. Joey :

There is nothing you can easily do for this at home. Using saline nasal drops is a possibility but I think this will only serve to aggravate the problem and not improve it. There are no decongestants that are safe in cats to purchase over-the-counter and I am not sure they would help this problem, especially if there is something actually in the nose or an infection hat would require medication to clear.

Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience: 15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.

You appear to be unavailable for a live chat or we are having a difficult time connecting. I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am happy with the expert opinion regarding my cat but my wife is not really computer literate and I fear that she may have opened a fixed monthly payment account which she does not wish to do. If this is the case please cancel any fixed monthly payments. Please let me know whether this is a one off payment of £14 or not.

Thank you very much

Yours sincerely

James A. XXXXXXXXX

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.
I'll send a note to the moderator and see if they can help you. You should be able to go into your account settings and modify, if so.
Cheers,
Dr. Joey