Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years experience in veterinary medicine and surgery.
56364752

my cat is leaving drops of poo. where he goes. either sitting

Customer Question

my cat is leaving drops of poo. where he goes. either sitting or walking. its smells. he was wormed 2 weeks ago. ive tried a bland diet. no food. my house is starting to smell . finding poo droplets everwhere, it started 4 days a day i have 2 other cats they are both fine . all 3 are boys. and have been done
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Barbara :

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help. I'm sorry to hear about Calarence's apparent fecal incontinence. Is he defecating normally otherwise. . .normal stool and no straining? For how long has this been happening?

JACUSTOMER-g3ydz4y7- :

about 4 days he has diaharria but no straining

Dr. Barbara :

Thanks for your response. Of course, diarrhea can have several causes from parasites, to food, to Inflammatory Bowel Disease, foreign bodies, to cancer (lymphoma) usually. Usually, initially, we treat diarrhea without going to the expense of looking for the cause. We would deworm, and the product used should be broad spectrum, and we would put him on a bland diet of boiled white rice mixed 50/50 with cooked skinless chicken, cooked ground sirloin, or low fat cottage cheese. He should be fed small meals about 4 times daily, and should be allowed to eat nothing else.

Dr. Barbara :

If you purchased a dewormer over the counter in a pet or feed store, it may not have covered tapeworms which are common. If tapeworms weren't taken care of by the dewormer you used, then you should get some praziquantal (Droncit here in the US) for him.

Dr. Barbara :

If changing his diet temporarily and deworming him for tapeworms doesn't start turning him around in a couple of days, then you could try Imodium at 0.04-0.08 mg/kg twice daily for 1-2 days. After that, if he still has diarrhea, then you should definitely take him to your vet. These suggestions are of course if he is feeling well now otherwise, and if he continues to be normal other than the diarrhea.

Dr. Barbara :

I hope that this is helpful information for you. If you have any further questions or concerns, please just let me know! Thanks, *****

JACUSTOMER-g3ydz4y7- :

not happy with answer , vet prescribered wormer

Dr. Barbara :

Thanks for your response! I'm sorry that your were disappointed with our conversation so far. I am hoping that I can determine what dewormer Calarence was given because the usual wormers don't take care of tape worms, and tapeworms are a common infestation and common cause of diarrhea.

Dr. Barbara :

I also discussed your using a strict bland food diet and gave you the recipe. From what you wrote, you have tried the bland food diet, but I don't know if he was on this solely, what you consider a bland food diet, and for how long you gave this. A bland food diet means that he is eating nothing else beside this. . .no grass or dry food. Has his bland food diet met this definition.

Dr. Barbara :

I would like very much to be of help to you and Calarence, but I do need to know these things. . .what wormer did he have and has he had praziquantel, what bland food diet he ate, is he still on this, and is this the only thing he ate? Have you tried Imodium?

JACUSTOMER-g3ydz4y7- :

he ate just rice and chicken. the vet prescribed the wormer. yes hes still on it no he hasnt eaten anything else. have kept him . and away from my other 2 cats. also have just fed him on biscuists. tried imodium.

Dr. Barbara :

Thanks for your reply. I am sorry for our time difference, and I do understand how frustrating it is to have little fecal droplets everywhere!

Dr. Barbara :

To clean these thoroughly you can use your normal cleanser, and then apply an enzymatic cleanser to remove the odor. To prevent this from happening right now, I'd suggest that Calarence be confined to a bathroom with his food, water and litter. Hopefully, you do have a bathroom with linoleum or tile flooring.

Dr. Barbara :

To solve Calarence's diarrhea is the key to stopping the fecal dropping. . .it seems. Exactly what wormer did your vet prescribe? Since he is "still on it", then it is probably parental pamoate which doesn't take care of tapeworms. I'd recommend asking your vet about this if Calarence's diarrhea continues.

Dr. Barbara :

Regarding Calarence's diet. . .biscuits are not a bland diet and could further irritate his intestinal tract. I would feed him ONLY the rice and chicken diet.

Dr. Barbara :

I'd also continue the Imodium for 2 days.

Dr. Barbara :

If these measures don't take care of Calarence's diarrhea, then he should see your vet there for a recheck. Some other organ system may be in trouble, or he may have a bacterial intestinal infection, more unusual parasitism, or a lodged foreign body. . .he needs a more solid diagnosis and specific treatment.

Dr. Barbara :

I'm going to switch us to the Q&A mode. This allows us to continue our conversation without further charge to you, and with the time difference for us, 10 minutes is not enough time! I'm in California, so will be online for another hour or so. I will check here in the morning, but hope that what I've recommended above will be helpful for you!