Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

my 15 year old Persian had eight of his teeth removed due to

Customer Question

my 15 year old Persian had eight of his teeth removed due to not being able to eat properly, he is still struggling to eat, he seems in pain what can I give him tohelp relieve the pain
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.

Hello Lesley, I'm Dr. Deb.

I recently came online and see that your question about Jake hasn't been answered. I'm so sorry that you've had to wait for a response,but if you still need assistance, I'd like to help if I can.

Unfortunately, if Jake is currently taking Metacam, then there are no safe over the counter medications which you'll be able to give him. To do so would run the risk of overdosing him since cats are so sensitive to many drugs.

In situations like this, I'll usually dispense or recommend either oral or injectable Buprenex which works very well for pain in cats but it would need to be dispensed or prescribed by your vet. Other anti-pain drugs such as Tramadol have been used in cats but I tend to avoid their use since they tend to make cats somewhat "loopy" in my experience.

I'm assuming that you're already feeding Jake semi-moist or canned food but you might want to consider adding more water to it and mix it in a blender so it's more like soup which will be easier for him to eat. Another option is to offer human baby food but just avoid those with onion or garlic in them.

I'm sorry that my response is not likely to meet with your approval but I hope you understand that I would be doing a disservice to Jake if I suggested that you give him an over the counter drug which might cause him harm.

But, I most certainly would discuss his discomfort level with your vet in the hopes that Buprenex can be dispensed.

I hope this helps although, again, my apologies for the delayed reply. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.
Lesley:

I’m just following up on our conversation about Jake. How is he doing? Deb