Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience treating cats in my practice.
16881297

my cat won't stop hissing at people

Customer Question

please can you help advise me, my cat won't stop hissing at everyone who comes into our house. She's 2 1/2 years old, and its getting worse, especially with children, we just don't know what to do anymore, we can't trust her around anyone except myself or partner, and when others are around, she'll turn on us too. She's been spayed (around a year ago), but if anything she's just getting worse. As soon as anyone knew enters she'll come up to then, have a sniff (and sometimes encourage top be stroked), then within seconds she's hissing at them and running away. This is usually what happens with adults. With children she'll hiss, then run and hide somewhere. We've tried catcall but this doesn't work either, if she doesn't grow out of this soon we'll have no choice but to get rid of her which will break our hearts as we've had her since she was 6-8 weeks old.

Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
I am so sorry to hear about Milo's condition....I know this is frightening for you and your family.
It is hard to know why sweet Milo has suddenly become aggressive...it may have been that something has frightened her such as a chid that has brought this on....
The first thing to do is to purchase Feliway at the pet store This is a feline pheromone that acts as a calming agent and can help Milo past this. If this is not enough, have your vet examine Milo along with lab work since there are medical conditions that can cause this. Treatment will be curative. If this is ruled out, ask your vet for medication to help Milo past this. 2-3 months on anti anxiety medication can get Milo past this.
Unfortunately, there is no real answer to this and all cats are different and will react to the medication in different ways. Since it is so bad that you are considering rehoming Milo, these are all worth a try....
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you so much for your advice Dr. Loretta.

We've already tried the plug ins, which didn't really have any effect unfortunately. I didn't think of medication for her, so we'll take her to the doctors this week, and see if they can help.

She's never been too friendly with others even since we got her. When she was born the owner of her mother couldnt cope with the kittens (she had 6 kittens, and 2 young children herself to look after) and she had to put the kittens and her mother in a cattery from the age of 3/4 weeks til we got her around 6-8 weeks old. The only thing we cqan think of is something happened to her there, as i know the owner of her mother really well and Milo was the friendliest of all of the kittens when they were born. As she's got older she's just got worse though, and the main problem being she is a really pretty cat, and so people want to stroke/pet her!

We'll definitely get her to see a vet asap, and hopefully they can help with the anxiety she's got. Never heard of it before, so honestly thought it was something that we might have done, but we both love her so much, its just frustrating other people who visit us can't see what we see.

Thank you again for your advice,

Cheryl

Oh Cheryl...I certainly understand and there are some cats that have some trauma in their past (just like humans, I am afraid) that never get over this. I am sure it was not you but with cats you never know....it could have been a neighbor cat that was scary to Milo or anything else...if only they could talk!
It really is worth trying the medication....it may only have to be given for 1-2 months to change this behavior.....
Keep working with Milo, Cheryl...she is worth it as you know!
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: 25 years of experience treating cats in my practice.
Thank you so much, Cheryl, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I hope this helps sweet Milo.....
Have a wonderful day!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you so much Dr. Loretta.

We've made an appointment to see the vet this week, and hopefully she can refer Milo to a specialist, or prescribe some medication for her anxiety. She wasn't in a good place with us yesterday, even going for me when i tried stroking her, but now we've been child free in the house for 24 hours, she seems to be back to normal, although this will only last until the next person comes round to visit!

Thank you again for your advice and support. I will definitely communicate to you if things get worse, or i need some more advice.

Your help is so appreciated i really wasn't sure what to do with her after this weekend, which pains me to say as she really is part of our little family. She's the only baby i have at the moment!!!

Thank you again,

Cheryl

Oh Cheryl....I know how much you love little Milo and I know she wants to be good....just has doe issues that you can work on...
Hang in there with Milo, Cheryl....I know you will! Please let me know if anything comes up that you are worried about...I would really like to help...I bet Milo is so sweet!!! I already love her and have not even met....she is special!