Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

my cat appears to have two small scratches on his back, fur

my cat appears to have two small scratches on his back, fur around them looks very thin
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long have these been present?

Are they open and fresh?

Have you seen her scratching this area?

Could she have been in contact with any other cats?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

about a week,wound scabbed but tender ,have seen him licking area, not seen him with other cats

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

While Sooty cannot tell us how these scratches arose (though self-trauma due to skin irritation is most likely if he hasn't had any recent interactions with other cats), his licking it will be negatively impacting the wound, causing the hair thinning you are seeing, and thwarting healing here. If he is licking the area (because it is sore), he will likely have introduced infection and this may be why it is still tender and perhaps puffy. As well, we do have to monitor this because if he was licking them when they were open, he may have actually inoculated the wound with bacteria from his mouth and we could see an abscess arise.

Now in regards ***** ***** management of this wound, the first step would be to cleanse the area with a mild diluted antiseptic (either chlorohexidine or iodine, both should be diluted to a weak tea like color) or salt water (1tbsp to a pint warm water). This should be done a 2-3 times a day and dried thoroughly afterwards. If it were open (though you can still do so here), you could also aid healing and infection prevention with an OTC antibiotic cream (ie Neosporin, triple antibiotic ointment, etc). Do avoid the creams with topical numbing agents (since these can be toxic for cats). As well, do avoid any human pain medications here since they are toxic and dangerous for cats (and rubbish for cat pain on top of it all) and would cause more problems (and some can even be fatal for them) then just soreness from these wounds.

Further to all this, we need to block Sooty's access to the wound since he is his own worst enemy here. To do so, you mat want to consider placing a buster collar (from your vets or pet store) now. Or, since this is on his back, you can put a baby tshirt on him to protect the area. If we can break his licking cycle, we can stop his hair loss, reduce the topical inflammation from his sandpaper tongue and start trying to settle this for him. Of course, if you see any further swelling or it doesn't settle within a few days of the above supportive care, then we'd have to be concerned that Sooty has already cause infection under the skin with his licking. In these cases, we often will need to follow up with his vet for a short course of antibiotics (to treat from the inside) +/- feline friendly pain relief (ie metacam) to reduce the inflammation and irritation that is prompting him to lick.

Overall, these signs do sound mild but it does sound like Sooty is not letting these sores heal. Therefore, we'd want to use the above steps with close monitoring for the next few days. And if you do see continued swelling or irritation, then that would be our sign to follow up with his vet for oral/systemic treatment to settle this for him.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you for your help will treat him with salt water for now

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome, Keith.

That sounds like a good start and hopefully we can just settle this for wee Sooty.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience: I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.