Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

my cat has all of a sudden got a bold patch on the back of

my cat has all of a sudden got a bold patch on the back of his neck, the skin is just pink with a little moister to it not dry. it doesn't hurt him there is no sores around it. he is due a flea treatment and i have spotted a couple on his but i don't want to treat now as he is bald there. he is eating drinking going to toilet purring as normal. is there anything i can do to help ? should i keep an eye on for a day and then take him to vets?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?
2- I will assume he can not lick this area, correct?
3- Is he scratching the area?
4- Is he strictly indoors?
5- What is the name of the flea medication?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i noticed last night so only a day.

no he can not reach. he is not scratching it.

doesnt go outdoors at all.

beaphar

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Friend, do not apply Beaphar product in this area until lesion is completely healed. If you are seeing fleas on him I would advise to use an oral medication like Capstar, you can buy this in your local pet store or online. Important to also vacuum the home.
As far as the lesion, it is very likely to be an abrasion or a localized infection (bacterial or fungal), this is what you can do:

1- Do not let him lick the medication below.
2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Wash area with this soap 2-3 times a day. If you do not find the above soap use over the counter antibacterial soap.
3- After washing affected area as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days.
4- If no significant improvement after doing the above in 2-3 days follow up with your family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter