Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic cats, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

My female cat has developed a patch on the underside of her

My female cat has developed a patch on the underside of her tail where she has licked it and the hair has disappeared from it. It looks red as if it has been bleeding.What can I do for her?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 2 years ago.
Hello!
Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.
Generally when a red hairless patch develops under the tail there is significant itching or irritation to the are causing her to lick the fur off or for the fur to fall out. About the only useful thing you can do at home is get human cortisone cream or hydrocortisone cream and apply it to the are twice daily. It is ok if she licks this it's not harmful.
If the redness is not going away within 2-4 days of treatment then it's time to see the vet to see if there is an infection or an allergy requiring more advanced treatment.
I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions.
Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Dr Dan, for your fast reply. I can't take her to my local vet as I am semi disabled and have no transport.

Dorothy

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 2 years ago.
Good luck with the cream I hope it works for you.
Dr. Dan