Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Good Day! Just had my 6 month old male cat neutered. The

Good Day! Just had my 6 month old male cat neutered. The incision has healed cleanly so far as I can see.
It has been suggested [not by a vet], that he should be kept indoors for a while to let his hormones level decline.
Please, is this so and if it is, for how long would you recommend?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Generally speaking, we only tend to suggest cats should stay indoors for 7-14 days post castration to avoid any post-operative healing complications. In regards ***** ***** levels, it can take up to 6-8 weeks for the testosterone already in his blood stream to wane. So, if Taffy was having some major issues with fighting, wandering, or territorial dominance outside, you could consider keeping him in. But as this tends to be a minor issue for cats, we don't usually require them to stay indoors for more then that first week or two post castration.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )